No stores whatsoever

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3509

House Bee
Reaction score
Just a quick warning. We left our bees 2 weeks ago with a super nearly full of honey plus a small feed of 1:1 on. Checked them today in one apiary and there are absolutely no stores whatsoever, either in the super or brood box. Needless to say we got feeds on very quickly. All four colonies in that particular apiary were exactly the same. Will be checking the other apiaries tomorrow and will be taking feeds along as a precaution.

Wasps? Thanks for the heads up either way.

Last edited:
No not wasps, just a total lack of forage. It has been a terrible season here in Plymouth. We just took 36lb of honey off for the whole season from 11 colonies. Have been keeping bees for 10 years and we have never experienced a season like it.

A helpful warning. I had exactly the same at my main out-apiary last week, after a short holiday, but only a week and a half after having inspected them fully, and them being in a good place........ All without any stores, and desperately so.

For the first time ever, I wished I'd taken no summer honey at all, and am now feeding aggressively before varroa treatment.... which is unheard of.

For once, the standard NBU warning seemed timely for me.

There are a small number of wasps, but the hives are all strong and well able to defend themselves. No, this just seems to be a real dearth (probably exacerbated by patchy weather).

Lots of firsts this year. 2020, eh ?!

Last edited:
No not wasps, just a total lack of forage. It has been a terrible season here in Plymouth. We just took 36lb of honey off for the whole season from 11 colonies. Have been keeping bees for 10 years and we have never experienced a season like it.
While some have had good crops I think this year will go down as a really dismal one, just as 2018 was exceptional

It’s odd that in some locations it’s been a good year, but that’s awful for Devon!
You have my sympathies and thanks for the heads up I’m not that far from you!

I had a great spring crop but the summer crop has be disappointing. I also found quite a few colones very short of stores. I'm feeding most either with syrup or fondant.

I have been feeding two colonies the rest are on the heather.

Similar for me too. I managed to take off a very little spring honey before they ate it all when the weather turned silly. Since the weather didn't really improve and I had loads of drones and bees dossing around I split a colony and fed them. Took a while for the new queen to get laying but it worked out well in the end.

Latest posts

Back