No Pay

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moby

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi

Is anybody clued up on employment law?

The company I work for owes me 2 months pay I know non payment is a breach of contract and most others are in the same boat... but me thinks that the company is struggling for money and is taking advantage advantage on our insecurities, current unemployment and economic climate at the moment & if I or we put in a claim they could just close the doors and claim insolvency....

Being self employed for most of my life I dont know much about that side of it but if I ever had trouble get money for work done I would "secure goods to the value of..":driving:

sounds like a plan will give it some thought...... because I have been put on short working I have also been doing the odd home maintenance jobs here and there to help make ends meet unfortunately not enough to go self employed if it were I would tell them to stick it

Acas.org
they should help

Go and see your local Citizens Advice Bureau - they can offer loads of information and advice about the various courses open to you.

Some guidence is here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Pay/DG_10026695

But as already suggest try CAB as well. They are very good but have a high workload so an immediate appointment may not be available.

:iagree:
Some years ago, I was working for my own limited company, and a client tried to wriggle out of paying me (i.e, my company). I took advice from the CAB, which was to take the client to the small claims court.
They paid up the day before the hearing was due.
Result :D

Basic choices are to hang in there and hope it turns around or walk away and sue. How much you think you can push or plead in the meantime varies how you play it.

I was employed by a company that went belly up. Pay due at the end of month, arrived on Monday and the door was locked. It's quite a shock to the system, you find yourself wandering the supermarket aisles thinking what you might still be able to pay for. I was younger and didn't read it well. In retrospect the key factors to watch for are people who know the real financial position making themselves scarce. If the finance director moves on or vital items are not arriving because the suppliers insist on cash up front you may be near the end.

Worst case scenario is that you do walk away, anybody else owed money stays and the company limps on. You'll be the easiest to delay and last to see any money. Suing an employer doesn't do a lot for your employment prospects if it's a niche industry where employers know each other. If the company actually goes into receivership you should be able to claim unpaid wages and holiday pay from the Redundancy Fund (administered by the Dept of Employment), CAB probably the best source of up to date info and limits.

Last edited:
CAB...

If it is a cash flow problem, them your employers should explain this to their staff to secure their continuing employment..... if they are burying their heads in the sand and refuse to discuss the problem with you ( or your Union Rep if a larger company), start looking for other employment... if the Inland Revenue turn up at the door, there is every possibility your NI contributions have not been paid by your employer,,,

not a pleasant situation to be in for either employer or employee... I just hope this is not the shape of things to come !

Thanks for all the advice I will look into it all.

I am now owed 2 months... a bit of a worrying thought

Latest posts

Back