No fun being a bee farmer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
South staff's bit of a drive to kent, my work shop/ honey house is looking good costing an arm and a leg but I've got 100 hives built and waiting, bees are coming slow, got more sites than I need, but I've planned the jump and keeping me fingers crossed and working hard.

You will find once the numbers get above 50 you just get more bees than you want with artificial swarms and swarm calls. I think we ran out of hives in May!
Let us know how you get on.
ATB

I have thought about this quite a bit when selling bees to new beekeepers locally. I decided it wasn't a great idea in the end as I am devaluing my own product as they won't have the over heads that I do.

Perhaps most will only have two or three hives but they still eat into the forage and perhaps some give the honey away to or sell it very cheap.

It's not something I am going to try and encourage to much in future as I also seem to be on call to answer any problems.

You will find once the numbers get above 50 you just get more bees than you want with artificial swarms and swarm calls. I think we ran out of hives in May!
Let us know how you get on.
ATB

Put another 0 on & make it 500, then you start thinking in terms of pallets of what ever. That reminds me got to find a couple of pallets of ....... on Monday. lol
Ian

The successful bee farmers are typically those who have retired from some well paid profession and don't need to make a living from their activities.

Latest posts

Back