nitrile gloves vs leather gauntlets

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 hives
so reading some old posts on here

.. sounds like the consensus is to use nitrile gloves for feel and to stop bee crushing when using the big fat sausage finger gauntlets

just worried about getting stung (even when double pairing) ...

do the professionals (who do this day in day out) use :-

bare hands,
nitrile,
marigolds
or
classic leather gauntlets ?

I'm not a professional but do have IRO 20 colonies, I use the thicker Nitrile gloves myself but in a size that is a tight fit, sometimes I'll put the disposable ones over the top for added hygiene or if doing something sticky.
I find I can still feel well, even pick up Queens and bees with them but it avoids the annoying finger stings from the more tetchy bees.

I started with leather ones but they might as well be mittens for all the sensitivity they give and they are great for collecting stings and grime.

.. sounds like the consensus is to use nitrile gloves for feel and to stop bee crushing when using the big fat sausage finger gauntlets

bare hands,
nitrile,
marigolds
or

I've stopped listening to all the hype about nitrile etc. Buy what suits you best and ignore the tales of nitriles being the dogs. You still get stung through them and leather get filthy and are hard to clean. I've found these the best of all and use cotton liner gloves inside to keep them clean.
Someone on this forum recommended them a year or so ago and I've never been stung through them and they are great from Fleabay

SHOWA 377 Nitrile Foam Fully Coated Grip Work Gloves

bare hands,
nitrile,
marigolds
or

There are some colonies that I could easily go bare handed. However, I think nitrile makes more sense for a range of reasons which I'm sure you're aware of.
Marigold, just like gauntlets are too thick. Nitrile is the "goldilocks" (just right) solution IMHO

I use ordinary surgical nitrile gloves and spray them with bitter almond oil dispersed in some industrial methylated spirit, then allow to dry before inspection - apparently the bees are not keen on the smell of the almond ..... seems to work a treat, whilst not upsetting them much and havent been stung through the gloves. I do however change gloves to an "unscented" pair when handling my queen just in case she becomes almond scented and unloved by the workers.

I've recently started using Thorne's kid gloves, and find them a great improvement over the cheaper leather gloves. And, above all, they fit me. Unused space in the finger ends is the greatest cause of clumsiness.

I use rubber washing up gloves... thicker than nitriles that I find a bit flimsy... but cheap enough to bin after each apiary site visit.
Happily would go commando... but propolis stain is a pain to remove!

Yeghes da

I use rubber washing up gloves... thicker than nitriles that I find a bit flimsy... but cheap enough to bin after each apiary site visit.

Yeghes da

Morrisons In their £1 line do washing up gloves at 45p in packs of 2 pairs .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Nitrile all day long for me.. whip them of and throw them away after each apiary visit.. i have kept mental bees in the past and have a mental colony at the moment but i rarely get stung on my hands and when i do it is usually my own fault.. if anyone does not like being stung keep a gentle strain of bees or take up knitting for a hobby..

Don't know what others do, but no one wears gloves here... or beesuits.

I do! Only because it can’t get my fingers apart when gummed up with propolis [emoji23]

I do! Only because it can’t get my fingers apart when gummed up with propolis [emoji23]

Cut one off. That's what I did. Works a treat. Never stick my left index finger to anything now.

Yeghes da

£1 bottle of Carex Aloa Vera Handgel works a treat (S'bury)

£1 bottle of Carex Aloa Vera Handgel works a treat (S'bury)

Oh brilliant! I will have to try that... have been looking for something that's good on propolis since I started on this journey 3 years ago.
I prefer not wearing nitrile gloves as the touch is so much better without but a sticky steering wheel is the pits!

Oh brilliant! I will have to try that... have been looking for something that's good on propolis since I started on this journey 3 years ago.
I prefer not wearing nitrile gloves as the touch is so much better without but a sticky steering wheel is the pits!

A leather steering wheel glove makes driving with sticky hands much easier .. and cleans down easily

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Latest posts

Back