Newby question on lots of bees in new hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perry

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
About three weeks ago I got some bees and a queen - 6 frames that I put in my brood box that had 6 new frames with foundation. A few days ago I added a queen excluder and a super.

Now about 10 out of 12 frames in the brood box are full of bees, comb, honey, eggs, etc. It seems that there are bees everywhere, including all over the entrance and hanging from one another when I lift a frame. Is this normal? It almost looks as if they are gathering like a swarm. Should I add another brood box rather than a super?

I'm learning and liking it!

I think your bees would have been grateful for the extra space, be it a super or whatever. You really want them 'working' this extra space rather than swarming.

Note that some people operate their National hives with just a single brood box. Some use two brood boxes below the queen excluder. Others use a brood and a super below the queen excluder; so-called brood and a half.

Hanging in "festoons" is a sign they are getting into comb building mode. Look for the wax mirrors on their abdomens.

Hanging in "festoons" is a sign they are getting into comb building mode. Look for the wax mirrors on their abdomens.

Susbees,
Thanks I didnt realise this and had wondered why on occassion my bees where hanging. I can now see it does seem to correlates with putting extra foundation in a hive/nuc bee-smillie

Thanks! I just had a look and they are building comb already in the super. In another thread somebody advised not to use a queen excluder until the comb is made - any comments on this?

Hi Perry

Some bees are reluctant to pass through a queen excluder at first and by removing it for a few days gets them working on the super the only problem with removing the queen excluder is you must ensure that the queen is below in the BB when you replace it.

Thanks! I just had a look and they are building comb already in the super. In another thread somebody advised not to use a queen excluder until the comb is made - any comments on this?

As TB says, sometimes leaving it off will encourage them up into the supers, however,
if they are going through the excluder and building comb then no real need to take the excluder off.

Susbees,
Thanks I didnt realise this and had wondered why on occassion my bees where hanging. I can now see it does seem to correlates with putting extra foundation in a hive/nuc bee-smillie

read 'the buzz about bees' all explained in there :)

Latest posts

Back