Newbie question can you help

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullframe45

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 --5.
Got my first colony 10 days ago and the beekeeper advise leaving them to settle down for a couple of weeks. Weather has been very poor here with a lot of rain and wind.
I have checked them every day ,but only by looking through the perspex crown board.They are getting active more each day, but today i checked during a thunder storm and they were very active ..Would the weather have any effect on their behaviour between heavy showers and thunder.
I also think i saw (from my very limited knowledge )there seemed to be a lot of small bees and when i checked the bottom board plastic .there seemed to be quite a bit of yellow wax. Does this mean they have hatched .Hence the small bees.
Also i think i have been too hast AGAIN and have bought a jumbo poly hive .Is this too much for a complete newbie.
I am hoping to contact a local group soon and possibly find a mentor or adviser.
Sorry for long winded questions.

You already have a Maisie's national poly, now bought probably a 14x12 poly, there could be problems in the future as they are different frame sizes for certain manipulations. Do the young bees have an appearance of white hair and the heavy showers will affect them, imagine some one banging a ball against the side of your house.

So nice to see you are really interested in them, bees can sense the low pressure from a thunderstorm and it can make them really ratty so please be careful if you are looking through the crown board without a veil etc. It only takes one ratty bee to sting you up the nose and your learning curve will be very steep! The queen will be laying and the bees will be emerging (not hatching, that's what chickens do!!!! :) ). You are right that they will need a bigger hive soon but I think, as already mentioned, you may have bought one that takes a different size frame to your nuc that they are presently in. Each different named hive has different sized frames. It isn't the end of the world so don't worry too much but what will happen is that the bees will build comb on the bottom of your nuc frames when you put them in your new hive. Eventually you can replace these frames but please get some advice before buying any more kit as it is possible to make some expensive mistakes!
A mentor is the most valuable thing you can have at this stage.,...
I would suggest that when the weather breaks you should consider moving them into your bigger hive. Remember they can't forage in bad weather so do you know if they had any food in frames?
Good luck
E

Bees are in a maisons poly hive .They have not started drawing out the outside frames as far as i can see and im going to get in touch with the beekeeper tomorrow and get them checked. I would like to do an inspection myself ,but the queen is not marked and way things are going and it would be my first inspection i will leave it up to the beekeeper i got them from.
I went and ordered another poly hive and didn not realise till it came it was the 14x12 jumbo .So i may have to put it down to another b***s ive made and order an other brood box or can it be cut down ? I was very hasty after reading that it was best to have 2 hives so as to compare .I booked on a course .Although its only a day it may help me a bit. But its not for a couple of weeks yet and i missed the last one.
Yes you are correct i definatly need advice.

Don't cut it down. As I said, it isn't the end of the world, just makes things a bit unusual for a while. If it is unused try ringing the company who supplied it, they will probably agree to swap it if it is unused!
E

The queen will be laying and the bees will be emerging (not hatching, that's what chickens do!!!! :) ).
E

Now Now Enrico... both hens and bee eggs hatch...bee pupae emerge as bees..but chickens ....:) LOL.

Ill ring simon the beekeeper tomorrow and see if something can be worked out. Thanks

Now Now Enrico... both hens and bee eggs hatch...bee pupae emerge as bees..but chickens ....:) LOL.

I thought someone would pick me up on that..... I was just trying to help with terminology. All a bit confusing when you start! Oh well, back to my hive full of chicks! ;)

As always, top advice from Enrico. And put so eloquently.

Back