Newbie from Wimborne Dorset

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpe32

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,

A friend of mine keeps bees and it has made me really interested in becoming a beekeeper. I have priced out a national and will get plenty of help/hints/tips from my friend but know the benefit of other peoples comments.

Joined on here to hopefully learn plenty and try and source a nuc for next spring or get recommendations for where to get one from.

I am planning a garden hive set up and have 3 children with one en route. My garden is pretty large and I have a site in mind which is already fenced off from kids as used to have chickens in that area.

Cheers,

Rich

Hi all,

A friend of mine keeps bees and it has made me really interested in becoming a beekeeper. I have priced out a national and will get plenty of help/hints/tips from my friend but know the benefit of other peoples comments.

Joined on here to hopefully learn plenty and try and source a nuc for next spring or get recommendations for where to get one from.

I am planning a garden hive set up and have 3 children with one en route. My garden is pretty large and I have a site in mind which is already fenced off from kids as used to have chickens in that area.

Cheers,

Rich
Welcome to the jungle.
You are correct in planning to learn before going ahead but you may find there's a lot more to keeping bees "properly" than you expect. Find and join your local beekeeping association and they will probably run training courses (theory during the winter and practical during the spring/summer).
In all probability they will be able to supply you with a colony of local bees at an advantageous price.
All the best

wholly agree with John - forget about the spring nuc - people charge the earth for them as they're in big demand to cover winter losses you're better off doing a course and getting bees later on in the year, you're not going to get much of a yield but you'll be better grounded to cope with the vagaries that beekeeping throws at you.

Back