Newbie buying a suit-Which type?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started with a cheap round boy scout type and a pain in the wind it was constantly wanting to take off.

I now have two astronaut jackets from Bee Basic excellent value for money and excellent quality.

The lightweight fabric is cooler but the heavier cotton is almost bullet proof and you could go to war in it but hot hot.

I have jacket with a round hat. Jacket because its quicker and easier to get on an off. Round hat because the person I worked with kept getting stung on the nose in her fencer style veil when the wind blew(didn't know about the baseball cap idea). It was cheap from the internet, but is made of thick cotton so works well. I got a large size so there was plenty of room for me, and lots of jumpers inside.

Next time I would probably buy an all in one, so I don't get propolis etc all over my jeans every time.

I have jacket with a round hat. Jacket because its quicker and easier to get on an off. Round hat because the person I worked with kept getting stung on the nose in her fencer style veil when the wind blew(didn't know about the baseball cap idea). It was cheap from the internet, but is made of thick cotton so works well. I got a large size so there was plenty of room for me, and lots of jumpers inside.

Next time I would probably buy an all in one, so I don't get propolis etc all over my jeans every time.

Hat under either style is a good idea, protects top of head too.

Russ

Round hat here, keeps the bees well away from the face.

Tried the 2 but the hat style for me hands down, much cooler in this weather, the rim keeps the sun off your face, pity about nylon zips they don't last long, next year I will have them replaced with brass ones

I have a full all in one suit with a round hat and a jacket with fencing hood. The round hat is the better option for me although in wind it blows off your head. However with the fencing hood the wind can blow it on to your face. The round one gives me more confidence as it gives more distance between bees and face.

I made mine and my hubbies from calico, being a bit apprehensive of being stung I made an extra large head protection so where ever I move my head it never touches the sides so unless they get inside some how :eek: which hopefully they wont , I am confident I wont be stung from shoulders up at least

I started with a cheap round boy scout type and a pain in the wind it was constantly wanting to take off. The emphasis should have been on 'cheap' not type?

Next time I would probably buy an all in one, so I don't get propolis etc all over my jeans every time. Good idea - only four points of entry to deal with, if secured properly!

Hat under either style is a good idea, protects top of head too. Another 'cheapness' issue.

I have jackets and trousers and in both styles. Cheap ones too as well as good (but not best) quality.

Fencing style rarely get used. Hat style do need some extra bits to prevent the veil blowing onto face at times.

Cheap are just that - cheap. You pays your money and you get what you pay for.

RAB

I have both styles,
as a girly with long hair I have to say the fencing style suits me better! I use either a bandanna (or now) a baseball cap to secure my hair under the veil, because otherwise bits of my hair get loose and fall in front of my eyes just as I am trying to look at something important.
I am also a fan of BB wear, the suits are excellent, I started with an eBay cheapy and it got my through the first year...just!! I have mended it ready for if we need it at some point!

Yes in my case Rab it was a case of buy cheap pay later. But then nor should people pay over the odds, value for money is important. rink123 have got it right and they look great well don.

The boy scout jacket served me reasonably well for two years and is still available for emergency or guests.

I much prefer my astronaut jacket and from a distance can be observed moving around the apiary as if I am Neil Armstrong :patriot:

When I had the boys cout on Russ Abbot often popped into my head??? ;)

Gee thanks for all of the replies! Didnt expect such a response. I prefer the look of the sword fencers design and it is apparent there doesnt seem to be much differnce with advantages for each one appearing to balance out.

So I will go for the....?:):)

Regards

Be fully aware, you can still be stung through the suit and price or cheapness has nothing to do with it.
BBwear and Sherriff are by no means cheap and I've been stung through both. What you wear underneath your suit and the mood of your bees of course are important factors. The hat, baseball or otherwise is an especially good piece of advice, particularly if the thatch is a bit thinner than it was.

just order'd the bb lightweight suit in slate as my cheap £bay suit is just not going to last, so it's true buy cheap pay twice :eek:

I have been testing my new dayglo orange Sheriff suit. It is much better than the (not particularly cheap) circular type veiled one I got from a well known bee-keeping vendor near Windsor

Latest posts

Back