New to the forum

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BearChief

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All,

This is my partners and my second year of bee keeping. We have joined the local society and have several other bee keeping friends in the Leicestershire area.

We have been having great fun so far. However recently we picked up a swarm of bees from a friend - they have turned out to be on the aggressive side, they also seem very prone to swarming. 3 weeks after homing the swarm they decided to swarm again - lucky to our neighbours amusement! See the video below...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqXEfy9VHzc[/ame]

How do you suggest we go about changing the behaviour of the bees?

Hallo. Only new here, but requeening seems your best bet. Otherwise my girlfriends a therapist, you could refer them to her but she's expensive. ;)

Requeen is the answer, never tolerate agressive bees, only have happy bees, did you feed them when you first collected

bit more info

and first welcome

3 weeks is a bit early for a normal swarm instinct and as such i think there must be other factors

a) could have had two unmated virgins in first swarm both held back until mated

or

b) they have a a mated queen and at 7 days they got honey block were the queen has nowhere to lay, normally due to feeding syrup when a flow is on

did they have brood at day 10? and did you feed syrup? if dso how much

how to stop them swarming ,fork out £30 for a good local queen or buckfast queen from norton ( watch out for brickbats)

Latest posts

Back