New to Beekeeping quick Nuc question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilN

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, I'm new to beekeeping and have got a quick question. I'm picking up a nuc tomorrow at 9.00am and was wondering how long should I leave them in the spot that the new hive will be in ....does the V Hot weather make a difference? Should I get them into the new Brood box sooner or later? Thanks for the advice, in advance - this forum is great for advice and I'm looking forward to joining the community and being a Beek!

Last edited:
They will probably be shut up from the night before. If it is a proper Nuc wait until all the frames are in use before moving into a full hive.
E

Thanks Enrico - I'll do that. Not sure how to feed them in the nuc though, as it's a 6 frame nuc and all the kit I've got is for a National Hive - I could perhaps make an eke and temporary crown board the right size quite easily and mod-up a rapid feeder from a tupperware tub I suppose.

You won't have to worry about feeding them in the nuc, Phil, they should have enough stores in the combs to last them a while.
I would put the nuc in place and let them fly for the day and then swap them over into their hive the following day. Some people will get them home and dump them straight into the hive, I prefer to let them settle for a day. Once in the hive you can give them a light feed to get them drawing the foundation out.
Enjoy your bees.

It depends a bit on what sort of nuc box you're getting. If it's a proper nuc hive, eg cedar or poly, then I would do as Steve says and put them in place to settle down and work out where they live. You could leave them like this for a few days unless the box is overflowing with bees. If it's a poly nuc it'll probably have its own feeder too.

If the box is a temporary Correx or cardboard nuc then you should move them into their permanent home more quickly. Since the weather is looking fine tomorrow, you could still leave them to settle first, then move them over tomorrow evening.

If there's loads of space still in the nuc, you can leave them for a week or two - if the nuc is bursting with bees and brood, no need to wait, hive them immediately.

If you do move them into a full hive and there are only 3-4 frames of brood, it may be an idea to use a dummy board to reduce the full hive down to maybe 8 frames, and put the new frames on either side of the current ones.
Then add frames as they need them.

If you do move them into a full hive and there are only 3-4 frames of brood, it may be an idea to use a dummy board to reduce the full hive down to maybe 8 frames, and put the new frames on either side of the current ones.
Then add frames as they need them.

I never understand why you do that in this weather. They won't miss a frame out, they will move out from the brood naturally so why bother reducing the frames and adding slowly? Just a question!
E

I never understand why you do that in this weather. They won't miss a frame out, they will move out from the brood naturally so why bother reducing the frames and adding slowly? Just a question!
E
I never bother, but I don'tput the nuc slap bang in the middle of the additional frames, rather put the nuc against one wall of the hive (with maybe one frame of foundation first) then all the foundation on the other side so the bees only have one side to concentrate their efforts on.

Hi, I'm new to beekeeping and have got a quick question. I'm picking up a nuc tomorrow at 9.00am and was wondering how long should I leave them in the spot that the new hive will be in ....does the V Hot weather make a difference? Should I get them into the new Brood box sooner or later? Thanks for the advice, in advance - this forum is great for advice and I'm looking forward to joining the community and being a Beek!

If you've got the same blazing sunshine and heat I've got here provide some shade. I've had foundation soften and slump in similar conditions.
A sun parasol in a stand is ideal but a couple of bricks on top of the nuc to support a piece of plywood or even a leafy broken branch can all help.

E

we were told it helps the bees control the hive in terms of heating/cooling, and it gives them a smaller area to guard against wasps and other pests?

we do it with Nucs as well, and it doesn't seem to do any harm?

Welcome PhilN.

I started out just like you about this time last year, so still have a lot to learn.

You sound like you have the right DIY attitude, I am sure it will serve you well in your new venture.

Do not hesitate to ask (not me personally, I don't have a clue what I am doing) if you are unsure about anything. I have always been amazed how quickly I get answers here.

So if you over feed your bees, get them honey bound and they end up in your neighbors tree, then discover you have more mites in your hive then bees. And you make 0 honey in your first year. Don't despair, stick at it.

I wish you the best of luck.

Latest posts

Back