New suits

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Browntea

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
As my first year with bees has been very interesting and im going to stay with the hobby i have decided to invest in a proper suit, the one ive been using was given to me but was only a temporary one not sure what its made of but its very thing and light weight.

I would like some recommendations please, i prefer the jacket and trouser style, ive been looking at Th....s one that around the price i want to pay (£100) less is better though :)

I await your advice thanks not worthy

This one (1st left) from b b wear is 98.95 it's BB1 in the catalogue.
They make a much lighter one for a couple of quid more which might be better in the heat. I had a look at it at Stoneleigh last year and coveted it :)
Comes in lots of colours if you're into that.

I gave up on the twopart deals many years ago as I was getting stung in the small of my badk, which I disliked intensely and worse was having staring matches iwth bees which were on the inside of the veil. They answer the question of are they in or out in a very painful manner usually on the tip of the nose... eye watering.

I prefer one piece units now.

This last season I bought and used only the one from Lyson sold in the UK by Abelow. If this link survives it is here: http://beekeeping-equipment.co.uk/?s=sklep&id=7

PH

I gave up on the twopart deals many years ago as I was getting stung in the small of my badk, which I disliked intensely and worse was having staring matches iwth bees which were on the inside of the veil. They answer the question of are they in or out in a very painful manner usually on the tip of the nose... eye watering.

I prefer one piece units now.

PH

:iagree:

Found out the hard way.
Don't do 2-piece!

I feel happily secure in my (Swienty) one-piece from M0dern Beekeeping. Excellent value for not too much money.
I'd certainly recommend it - but I do have a touch of envy for the BBs and Sheriffs.

But, with my own far from aggressive bees at the end of the garden, I usually find myself just slipping on the 'visitors' anorak+veil for anything other than going inside the box. For example, removing and refitting the mouseguard. Just pull it on like a pullover. No zips, no fasteners - just elastic at wrists and waist. Sure its very thin, but it keeps accidental bees out of hair, beard and sleeves. Cost about £5. I've added a hanging loop outside the back of the neck for the back door peg (so its always at hand). Excellent £5's worth!

With a one-piece, get it too big - that isn't a problem. But a fraction of an inch too small in any dimension, that soon is a problem!

I use the veiled hat most of the time :)
However if I have to work them during less than optimum weather I wear my Brian Sheriff astronaut suit !
VM

I have a BB wear suit which I use for opening up and a veiled hat for quick jobs such as hefting. I used separate veil + suit for a good few years but the one piece is much better.
Cazza

stings

My hubby wears a jacket and shorts when he helps me and ne'er a bee touches him!!!
I keep telling him we'll get shitty bees one day.................

And they do tend to crawl upwards ;) ha well you can always remove the sting and leave the swelling :eek:

OK then a full suit it is, so far it looks like its going to be a bb lightweight but has anyone had a th***** one? I ask as i can get a wee bit of discount!! A true yorkshire man!! :)

OK then a full suit it is, so far it looks like its going to be a bb lightweight but has anyone had a th***** one? I ask as i can get a wee bit of discount!! A true yorkshire man!! :)

you are wondering what the th***** ones are like. You have a th***** rep who lives in pickering why dont you have a word with him, he may use one himself that way you can feel the quality.

Steve

I am going to Harper Adams for the BBKA spring convention in April and will be able to fondle and buy all the major beesuit makers stuff as well as boxes etc etc. The trade day is on the Saturday 21 April. I am hoping there might be a bit of discount due to the saving on postage.

Latest posts

Back