New Season

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marmite

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Given the recent mild spell could you please advise me
1)When to remove mouse guards
2)When do I do 1st inspection
3)When do I add first super

I have 2 hives and last year 1 was strong and the other a little weak but bees are flying from both.

Mouseguard, depends on where hives are. I have removed some close to my home as think less risk.. (big colonies), but those in a wood and on a nature reserve, I am keeping on for a couple of weeks. Strong colonies should be ok, but protect the smaller ones.

Inspection ..when we have had 2 weeks of good weather to really look at each frame, checking brood levels and possible disease problem. Until then a quick look.. to ensure food and bees!

Ist super, when brood box has bees and activity on 2 outer frames. If an undrawn super, no excluder for a week or so, to encourage them up, then QE on to keep her down.
IMO... of course.

I can tell you what I do.
When I used to use mouse guards they came off when Spring was really Spring.
The forecast now is for cold weather.
I have been weighing my hives over the winter and I have clear crown boards so I know they are OK for stores. First inspection will be early next month providing the weather is OK. I continue to check their weight though.

Lots of people have had a look in already but make sure you are looking for a purpose, not just out of curiosity.

Super when there are at least six frames of brood.

1)When to remove mouse guards

I'd have thought it would have been safe enough to remove mouseguards now. I've not got one on the front of the hive, just using a reduced enterance block.

2)When do I do 1st inspection

I took a quick peek inside the hive last weekend since the temperature was 17 degrees, however I'll be holding off now until April when we've got consistantly warmer weather (hopefully). The bees are just getting themselves upto speed so I don't see the point in distrubing them without a reason.

3)When do I add first super

Once the colony has built up with the frames almost all full of bees (6+ frames) but don't wait until all 10 or 11 are full.

Latest posts

Back