New queen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loubylou

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello, just checked one of my hives which was thriving and to my despair found qc’s! I know they are too late to be viable but is it too late to introduce a mated Q? I have seen some for sale. Or should I just combine with another colony? Tia

Hello, just checked one of my hives which was thriving and to my despair found qc’s! I know they are too late to be viable but is it too late to introduce a mated Q? I have seen some for sale. Or should I just combine with another colony? Tia

I've never inserted a mated queen this late in the season but if you're well funded why not try? However you should destroy the Q cells first and I wouldn't fancy going through a brood box, carefully checking every frame, this late in the season

Are you sure this is not a supercedure?

Unless I was certain about the provenance of the queen I think I would combine this late on.

Makes you wonder if this person inspecting this late is the cause of said queen mortality... Haven't inspected for nigh on 8 weeks

Makes you wonder if this person inspecting this late is the cause of said queen mortality... Haven't inspected for nigh on 8 weeks
‘This person’ says thanks for the unhelpful comment.
When filling feeders, I noticed qc’s...so NOT inspecting, just topping up feeders.

‘This person’ says thanks for the unhelpful comment.
When filling feeders, I noticed qc’s...so NOT inspecting, just topping up feeders.
I did say there was nothing to suggest that and I was commenting to Mr Bonypart. You have had some helpful comments though. I still think the best idea is to unite with another. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I have sold queens before to people who introduced them late October with success.
If it is a thriving hive and you have a weak hive, unite is safest.

If all your hives are thriving , a new mated queen may be the best option for you.

Uniting is probably the safest option...

So your choice... (but do knock down all QCs and if IN ALL CASES do check for and kill the original queen who may still be present)

IN ALL CASES do check for and kill the original queen who may still be present

Not quite as crucial with an unite though, quite a few do it without making one side Q- (although it does help if both sides have a laying queen)
Did one at the end of this season actually and the colony is booming

You noticed that there were no eggs at all while filling feeders?
well if I noticed a QC I'd be in there like a shot to try and work out what's happened - wouldn't you?

If the colony is of a decent size, I would give a new queen a go. The bees should accept her well at this time of year provided there are no queencells or queens in there, of course.

Thanks everyone, I have decided to get a q and pop her in. It’s such a strong colony with lots of capped brood still I think it had a good chance of survival.

You noticed that there were no eggs at all while filling feeders?
Just thought I would remind you of the note at the bottom of your posts indicating a 3 point check before responding - is the reply "true", "necessary", or "kind". I suggest your reply was neither necessary or kind. The reason I think very carefully before posting a question on this forum is because of my past experience of critical or snide comments. New and novice beekeepers can be easily discouraged by such comments.

Latest posts

Back