Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micheal Summers

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Farmer, south Leicestershire, looking to learn about bee keeping and starting colonies to assist with crop pollination and produce honey. Friend has donated hive, I’ve signed up for beginners course via Leicestershire and Rutland Bee Keepers Association. What could possibly go wrong?😳

What could possibly go wrong?

Well, you know... varroa, nosema, CCD, chalkbrood, AFB, EFB, small hive beetle, asian hornets, DWV, a dozen or more other viruses, starvation, poor queen mating, bad weather, discovering you're allergic to honey bee venom, pesticide poisoning, climate change, bad-tempered bees, swarming...

But it's a really rewarding thing to do regardless, so welcome and good luck :)

James

What could possibly go wrong?😳

Plenty, but that's all part of the fun! I enjoy the hobby because for any given situation there is likely to be two or three different solutions. No two colonies behave the same so best to have two hives if possible = doubles the learning experience.
Good luck!

Welcome, you could be in for a steep learning curve experience. Try and do some reading while you wait. Haynes beekeeping manual is a good easy place to start, the videos of Norfolk Honey company on utube are wide ranging and far more reliable than many.

Farmer, south Leicestershire, looking to learn about bee keeping and starting colonies to assist with crop pollination and produce honey. Friend has donated hive, I’ve signed up for beginners course via Leicestershire and Rutland Bee Keepers Association. What could possibly go wrong?😳
Welcome ... it's an all consuming hobby - what could possibly go wrong ? Everything - the first thing you find is that the bees don't always conform to the books .... Good luck - at least you will have somewhere on hand to keep them ..

Welcome Micheal and enjoy.

Bee careful what you wish for, I started with 2 nationals as a retirement project :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ;)

Back