New hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good. Now Pargyle wondered about the spacing in your hive. How many frames do you have in the box?
Hi there are 10 frame in the brood box

The nuc that I purchased had smaller frames so had to adjust the brood box as I wasnā€™t sure what to do ā€¦ but now I know I should of attached the frame to a foundationless frame that way it should of fitted the box

Iā€™m afraid they are, glysophate in weed killer affects bees the microbiology of the bees it also affects there memory and makes them more vulnerable to infection wiping the bee colony out
Hi Suze
Having had bees on and in spitting distance of areas that use large amounts of weed Killer Iā€™ve never had an instance of any direct deaths, I canā€™t answer for sub lethal or hidden aspects other than to say colonies thrived! That aside the pic shows dead drones any poisoning would not solely kill drones.
As others have suggested this pic is a common site if a queen excluder is incorrectly used and traps drone bees and prevents access to the outside.
Given you say the colony was in poor condition and the number of drones, is there a possibility the queen was a drone layer?
What leads you believe other than the dead drones this is a poisoning?

On the subject of supering add when your bottom box is 3/4 full. This season with your expanding nuc your single brood box may be sufficient for the queen to lay. However your bees will require both room for stores and room to lay. A point often missed by flow suppliers is that queens/bees will often require more than a single box to lay in! and perhaps even additional supers. That generally makes the costs considerable.
If your queen is laying on 7-8 frames early to mid season Iā€™d suggest in the future a second brood.

Can I ask if youā€™ve attended a course, if not you and perhaps more importantly your bees will benefit.

Good luck Ian

Iā€™m afraid they are, glysophate in weed killer affects bees the microbiology of the bees it also affects there memory and makes them more vulnerable to infection wiping the bee colony out
no herbicide available at this time has that kind of catastrophic effect on bees - insecticide maybe but not weedkiller, the glyphosate effect you describe is after long term sublethal exposure and affects bumbles more than honeybees

Hi Suze
Having had bees on and in spitting distance of areas that use large amounts of weed Killer Iā€™ve never had an instance of any direct deaths, I canā€™t answer for sub lethal or hidden aspects other than to say colonies thrived! That aside the pic shows dead drones any poisoning would not solely kill drones.
As others have suggested this pic is a common site if a queen excluder is incorrectly used and traps drone bees and prevents access to the outside.
Given you say the colony was in poor condition and the number of drones, is there a possibility the queen was a drone layer?
What leads you believe other than the dead drones this is a poisoning?

On the subject of supering add when your bottom box is 3/4 full. This season with your expanding nuc your single brood box may be sufficient for the queen to lay. However your bees will require both room for stores and room to lay. A point often missed by flow suppliers is that queens/bees will often require more than a single box to lay in! and perhaps even additional supers. That generally makes the costs considerable.
If your queen is laying on 7-8 frames early to mid season Iā€™d suggest in the future a second brood.

Can I ask if youā€™ve attended a course, if not you and perhaps more importantly your bees will benefit.

Good luck Ian
Hi Ian the picture was taken from an article I was reading it was shown on my allotment site page nothing to do with my bees like I said I put it on by mistake ā€¦.. I have just introduced my first sup this last week Iā€™m hoping they take to it ā€¦.. I do have another brood box and another sup so hopefully this will keep them going ā€¦. I have done a few courses but sadly not hands on I have been trying to find a mentor to no avail

no herbicide available at this time has that kind of catastrophic effect on bees - insecticide maybe but not weedkiller, the glyphosate effect you describe is after long term sublethal exposure and affects bumbles more than honeyb
no herbicide available at this time has that kind of catastrophic effect on bees - insecticide maybe but not weedkiller, the glyphosate effect you describe is after long term sublethal exposure and affects bumbles more than honeybees
I guess the scientist have it wrong then

Ok I really would suggest contacting your local association they may have a late season course or even apiary meetings you could attend.
In an ideal world many associations run winter theory courses followed by a hands on practical in spring/summer.
Theory type courses are all well and good but Iā€™d suggest hands on lessons or experience is essential.
Most internet type course Iā€™ve seen are pretty CARP!

Keeping bees on allotments has some disadvantages, you are also an ambassador for bees and beekeepers. Having the experience to deal with any issues is essential!!!!!!!

Flow initially sold their hive on the basis of buy a box stick some bees in and watch the honey flowšŸ˜‰ I believe they have moderated the language since! But keeping bees and doing it well does involve knowledge and some practicality and Iā€™d suggest if your bees are on an allotment some hands on guidance is essential!!

The trouble is that many of these studies are incomplete in their sampling. Many hundreds if not thousands of beekeeping years on this forum seem to show that glyphosate does not have the alarming effect on bees that you have read about.

Hi Ian the picture was taken from an article I was reading
That's it then. Let's stop talking about these drones? The picture is typical of lazy journalism. Get a picture of some dead bees from somewhere to illustrate some crackpot theory. I'm surprised they didn't put a picture of wasps on.

On that subject... I temporarily placed a QX on one hive, between two boxes, so there are drones above the QX.

What are the issues from this?

Take the top off for a few minutes every day
If you want to put a QX between two broods it might pay to have an entrance in it

On that subject... I temporarily placed a QX on one hive, between two boxes, so there are drones above the QX.

What are the issues from this?
If on for a short period very little.
However drones appear to have an instinct driven desire to get to the front door, I can only guess itā€™s the equivalent of a bunch of teenager boys trying to get to the night club offering free beer and ladies! They simply jam themselves in the excluder and die trying to get through!

Scientists spin the vinyl for their own cause & sadly that pic you posted is about drones being trapped and dieing because they can't get out.

It happens in our hives sometimes during a demeree when a QX is used, but usually they are fine if let out if only a few days.

Take the top off for a few minutes every day
If you want to put a QX between two broods it might pay to have an entrance in it

If on for a short period very little.
However drones appear to have an instinct driven desire to get to the front door, I can only guess itā€™s the equivalent of a bunch of teenager boys trying to get to the night club offering free beer and ladies! They simply jam themselves in the excluder and die trying to get through!

I see.

I have an eke (1ā€ high) with an entrance , that I made for performing a...(the name escapes me...basically, when you need another/alternative entrance further up).......

Would using that eke do? The drones would then be able to escape from the top box.

It happens in our hives sometimes during a demeree when a QX is used, but usually they are fine if let out if only a few days.
And also in a laying worker hive when they lay above a queen excluder.

Latest posts

Back