New hive with foundation. Leaving out!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverider

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Recently built a National with frames, foundation etc.

I wont be getting the bee's until June next year. Is the frame foundation okay to leave outdoors in the hive until then? Will it deteriorate or be eaten :rolleyes: before next year if left outdoors?

Personally I would not fit it untill your ready to put the Bees in. Leave it wrapped up and store it flat.

By leaving it exposed to air you risk losing some of the aromatic oils in the wax that make it attractive to the bees.

Stale foundation, usually which has a wax bloom on it (a whiteness) can be revived by gently plying a hair dryer over it.

If you have it fitted gently remove the wedge bars and store it flat in clingfilm until the day before you need it.

PH

Best left in the original wrapping, but if the hive is sealed nothing much should eat it. It will deteriorate, for sure. Could get too hot - depends really...

You may not need all the brood frames, even then, if you intend buying in a nuc and the shallows may not be needed until much later, dependent on several factors.

RAB

Wow, quick replies for a forum.... not worthy

Will be getting the cling film out and storing them in a cool place i guess.

Thanks for the advice. ;)

It need not cling film. Keep the just in the cartong box. Cool place is good. In sunny place they may melt together.
Even if the foundations are over 5 years old, bees draw them when they need combs. They have no alternatives. At least I do not have offered.

guys use to invent extra drama around foundations.

Wow, quick replies for a forum.... not worthy

Will be getting the cling film out and storing them in a cool place i guess.

Thanks for the advice. ;)

yes we are all bored, no bees to look after, they will be fighting by the new year

Keep the wax in a warm room for a few hours before you fix it in the frames as it can crack if too cold

and as RAB says you will be buying a 5 frame Nuc so you will only use another 6 frames to make the 11 in a brood and super will not be needed until later or next year depending on when you get bees ( and the strength of the Nuc/queen)

keep the extra foundation safe if not used until next year for a partial comb change of the oldest blackist comb (30% a year)

yes we are all bored, no bees to look after, they will be fighting by the new year

Keep the wax in a warm room for a few hours before you fix it in the frames as it can crack if too cold

and as RAB says you will be buying a 5 frame Nuc so you will only use another 6 frames to make the 11 in a brood and super will not be needed until later or next year depending on when you get bees ( and the strength of the Nuc/queen)

keep the extra foundation safe if not used until next year for a partial comb change of the oldest blackist comb (30% a year)

If you change 30% of the old black frames as you say where in the hive would the black frames be, in the middle of the hive, or on the outer frames.

I only ask as a novice because as I understand it the queen tends to lay mainly on the middle frames and less on the outer frames,
If this is the case and the middle frames are the blackest but full of eggs and brood would you not be throwing the baby out with the bath water.

would you not be throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Not if you think about the alternatives - like moving those black frames towards the outside - plan ahead.

RAB

Just wish they would take their shoes off when they enter. Bad manners!

would you not be throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Not if you think about the alternatives - like moving those black frames towards the outside - plan ahead.

RAB

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/Smiles/iagree.gif

do it in stages if need be, if its full of brood ease the frame out to the edge of the brood nest. Another day you may be able to do a bit more, its a constant process of evaluation for whatever reason.

ian

What would you recommend doing if the frames already have been built and foundation fitted.

I have been told to but the frames in food bags to seal them and store in the brood box / suppers and lightly spray them with sugar syrup when you are going to use them.

The easy way to do it is to make sure they are vermin proof and just before you add the bees, use a hair drier to warm the wax which will freshen it up nicely.

PH

What would you recommend doing if the frames already have been built and foundation fitted.

Remove the wedges from the frame and pack up the foundation in cling flilm/airtight box/ whatever you have handy for the job

If you follow the advice from JBM, make sure the foundation is warm or it will crack.

Just discovered this myself ( I knew but needed reminding) - a mate had bought a Paynes poly nuc in summer and asked them to supply frames. The foundation had been fitted very badly, and was falling out. He had not used the nuc. I volunteered to sort it for him, and this foundation kept cracking on the wires until I moved to work indoors.

I have read on here that old foundation should make no difference, but myself have always done the hairdryer trick

Last edited:
The easy way to do it is to make sure they are vermin proof and just before you add the bees, use a hair drier to warm the wax which will freshen it up nicely.

PH

The hive is in the garage at present I hope to be getting the girls May / June this year. I have also turned the entrance block round so nothing can get in.

I will see about pinching the wife's hair dryer when she's not looking.

Thanks to all who have replied.

the wax is held to the top bar but a peice of would the width of the wax and frames, that is the wedge

it is the piece you remove form the top bar to fix wax, then nail it back on with the nails through the wire extension to the foundation wax

the wax is held to the top bar but a peice of would the width of the wax and frames, that is the wedge

it is the piece you remove form the top bar to fix wax, then nail it back on with the nails through the wire extension to the foundation wax

Thank you MuswellMetro as you can see I am new at this.

I see from your profile you use 14x12 brood box would you recommend them and if so what are the advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back