New hive treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardBlack

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What do folk recommend for treatment of a new Cedar hive? Would linseed oil be sufficient, or is there something better?

Just looks betters treated in my opinion nice western red cedar

Cuprinol clear helps it to keep its original colour.theres a big difference in the ones I treated last year and the ones I didn't.

I use boiled linseed oil. Treated them 3 years ago and they look no different today. Give the oil a few days to soak in before exposing to weather/bees.

I use Garden Shades in a rather fetching pink :)

Are any of those treatments usually sold in small quantities? Don't want to be buying a gallon just for one hive.

You can get 1litre cans of garden shades. I got mine when they were being sold off cheap.

Tried to get some cuprinol today but all were water based. They were reasonably cheap but the oil based were much more. I'd never use the rest of it in a million years either.

I'm stuck for time and thinking of just using the linseed oil instead (unless I can find something in the shed). Should be ok, shouldn't it?

Latest posts

Back