new hedgerow camera

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Queen Bee
Reaction score
UK, Birmingham, Sandwell. Pork scratching Bandit c
Hive Type
National
ok, heres another classic hedgerow stupid question.

the old Bee Shed Productions camera is on its last legs. Aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I have been surfing fleebay. or a slightly less wind up one.

I was hoping to get one of the early high deff cameras. but does anyone rember or do they know if any of them had a micro phone socket on the side. as the one problem i do have is a fixed mic on the camera. any suggestions anyone???

View attachment 3457

Last edited:
not sure if this info helps you, i have a sony handycam hdr-xr520 and that has mic sockets on the side!!!

brian

An alternative might be to get a camera without a socket and record the sound onto a solid state recorder and then dub the sound on later. It is a bit of a fiddle and synching takes practise but cameras with separate mic sockets do seem a bit expensive.

But if anyone knows of an affordable one I would be interested to know about it.

bee key per , thats what i am wanting, a brilliant tip there , i will rush off to fleabay straight away, if they cost more than a million quid i am going to be rushing back!!!

Its mainly needed for when i am outside as i have to get very shouty to get the noise over to the camera. were as a 2 m lead and mic would sort that problem out easily and get me a hd camera on the go too

thats not realy what i am looking for foxylad.

I have an even older camera that is perfect for the job. it has a flip screen that spins around so i can see where to stand to be in the frame and a microphone socket as well and a power point so i can talk for hours. the olny down sides are that it is not hi def and its video 8 not digital shame realy cause it used to be a great camera to use.

I was wondering whether high def is really as important as it appears in teh question. I remember speaking to a professor who was an expert in these things and he said the human eye cannot really detect a greater resolution than about 400 dpi (dots per inch) yet we crave printers and scanners at 2400 dots per inch. Admittedly, if later editing zooms in it is sharing the dots across more inches - a sort of diluting the dots per inch. Most normal cameras I saw before high def had a microphone 'shoe' attachment. The free software audacity allows great editing of sound for free.
Tricia

In Bee-Key-Pur's link, once you get towards the £300 mark then you start being good.

I appreciate the desire to be better than standard VGA quality, but 12. to 1.4Mpixel seem to be more than adequate.

The optical zoom figures are good (forget digital zoom totally, it's a useless sales gimmick), but I suspect that the down side is probably light sensitivity.

I have a 40x optical zoom Sony camera that is VGA quality which I use mainly for still shots. It is an excellent video camera, but for still shots, as the light begins to go the pictures become very noisy. Absolutely excellent outside in full sun.

Ideally shooting should be done in one or two minute sequences with the aid of an assistant, so that the poor bits can be replaced relatively easily. Much easier done with a talk show than construction when you are demonstrating that critical cut . . . but for tutorials where there is no real-time action it's probably the top technique. Not without a lot of stitching together though.

Keep your background sounds from the camera microphone and put your narrative over the top.later. Producing a written script and rehearsing the timing- you may not have time for bee keeping at this rate though.

thanks for the tips Ian, i think personaly its another idea in the chiniese bin my self.

I was going for a better film quality , ie hi def as they have been out now for ten years or so and as such the bottom market should have started to form with decent cameras and so on at great bottom prices. but this market is still out of the price range i am looking at , £800 is a little to much realy.

i think i will buy the connector and start to use my old sony D8 camcorder instead. when i need to use a mic. shame realy but never mind

Latest posts

Back