New family member...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
Hi All,

Please meet Opal - our new family member! She is a retired Guide Dog we puppy walked in 2002/3, but she is still as cute - if a little more cheeky :D

Lucky Opal :winner1st:

Look like she has beaten the green towel into submission already.....!

She looks lovely, Queens :)
I'm very jealous...

well done you nice to see someone taking on an older dog rather than a pup

We're doing both - first time ever we reserved a new cross-breed puppy and then had the chance to regain Opal - so we did both...Puppy comes in 3 weeks, so Opal should enjoy a 2nd puppyhood!

Hi All,

Please meet Opal - our new family member! She is a retired Guide Dog we puppy walked in 2002/3, but she is still as cute - if a little more cheeky :D

She looks just like our yellow lab ... Leo .. he's 8 years old going on 18 months ! Hurt his back this week clearing the three steps up to the garden in one bound trying to catch the fox ... you would think after 8 years of failing to catch the fox EVERY night that he would have learnt ! Trip to the vets and a £60 bill to tell us what we already knew ... he's hurt his back !! No walks for a week and just gentle exercise after that if it improves ... definitely no fox chasing .....

She looks just like our yellow lab ... Leo .. he's 8 years old going on 18 months ! Hurt his back this week clearing the three steps up to the garden in one bound trying to catch the fox ... you would think after 8 years of failing to catch the fox EVERY night that he would have learnt ! Trip to the vets and a £60 bill to tell us what we already knew ... he's hurt his back !! No walks for a week and just gentle exercise after that if it improves ... definitely no fox chasing .....

Labs never learn, Pargyle. That's why we love them.

Labs never learn, Pargyle. That's why we love them.

Yep ...you're right ... Leo's our third yellow lab, wouldn't have another breed if I could help it ... the only way you can tell when they are really ill is when they stop eating !! Fortunately, Leo is still eating but is a bit ginger getting up and down ... it's a lost cause hoping he'll start and be sensible ...

Opal is scared of the cat and a 1 1/2ft tall toy beagle...so I don't think she'll be doing much fox chasing!! ;)

Opal is scared of the cat and a 1 1/2ft tall toy beagle...so I don't think she'll be doing much fox chasing!! ;)

Just as well ... I don't think they have a hope in hell of catching one ! She looks a lovely girl though Queens ... she must be about 11 years old but doesn't look it ?

Pargyle - Opal is actually just coming up to 10 (her birthday is on October 31), according to Guide Dogs but as she was born in October '02 and qualified in '04...they are a bit wrong?? She doesn't look anywhere near her age - nor does she act it :D

It is actually absolutely wonderful to have her back - she seems to be settling quickly - and recognising walks etc...which is amazing considering it is 9 years since she was here.

Pargyle - Opal is actually just coming up to 10 (her birthday is on October 31), according to Guide Dogs but as she was born in October '02 and qualified in '04...they are a bit wrong?? She doesn't look anywhere near her age - nor does she act it :D

It is actually absolutely wonderful to have her back - she seems to be settling quickly - and recognising walks etc...which is amazing considering it is 9 years since she was here.

e9a4ybeg.jpg

uvegaqe6.jpg

This lady passed away in June.
She was 6 years old when she came to us for what proved to be 8 more wonderful years !
She is sorely missed, reminders are all around including in the apiary ( in Winter of course)
Enjoy the company of your new friend, may it be a happy and lengthy time for the pair of you:)
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

[g[/]
This lady passed away in June.
She was 6 years old when she came to us for what proved to be 8 more wonderful years !
She is sorely missed, reminders are all around including in the apiary ( in Winter of course)
Enjoy the company of your new friend, may it be a happy and lengthy time for the pair of you:)
VM

]

You never forget them do you ? I remember all my previous dogs more clearly than I remember a lot of people ... and in some cases, family members ! Lovely picture of her in the snow VM.

Thanks all - Opal can go anywhere you take your pets - no special treatment now...which she hasn't quite twigged!

VM - I have found through our rescue dogs, that by taking them from unknown backgrounds and giving them loving homes - the love and special links are ultra strong, and their loss is shattering. We are lucky though to have some amazing memories, and reminders all around us - I know you'll continue to smile at the lovely memories they so kindly share with us x

I have never had a dog, never really had the time to look after one properly being in work all day, one day I will have one don't know what breed probably a boarder collie or an Old English, Love the pictures VM

VM - I have found through our rescue dogs, that by taking them from unknown backgrounds and giving them loving homes - the love and special links are ultra strong, and their loss is shattering. We are lucky though to have some amazing memories, and reminders all around us - I know you'll continue to smile at the lovely memories they so kindly share with us x
Sasha is our last.
At our age it would have to be an older dog with all the problems associated ,as a young dog would probably outlive the pair of us, leaving us worrying about it's future care!

ru9y2eta.jpg

Nowt improves with age save vintage wine :)
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Back