new EU labeling regs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuswellMetro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
has anyone else noticed that the EU has change the label requirement (yet to be put into UK legislation )

appear there is now agreement that country of origin is to be used rather than product of country on animal derived products and olive oil, only this report seen in the news so far

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14026474

and Honey is an animal derived product ( halfway down page)

the new regs with also add G per 100g of Salt, Sugar,fat and kcal

usual not applying to small users clause but try arguing that with trading standard is you sell 200lb of honey in your local farm shop

note A german EU translated document on Meat derive products defines small users as "sale from the doorstep and not via farm shop etc

nice to see that those outside EU honey will now have to say the origin ( a nice honey as Product of outer mongolia , anyone)

Last edited:
nice to see that those outside EU honey will now have to say the origin ( a nice honey as Product of outer mongolia , anyone)

:iagree:
I was looking at a shop jar the other day... "made from a blend of EC and non-EC Honey"
What is the point of that?? :rant:

This is the quote from the BBC web site quoted by Muswell Metro:
I have underlined some parts for clarity
Besides beef, currently the country of origin has to be marked on packs of fresh fruit and vegetables, fish, olive oil and honey.
Unquote
From this I do not thnk there is a change in the country of origin requirement.
Ruary

:iagree:
I was looking at a shop jar the other day... "made from a blend of EC and non-EC Honey"
What is the point of that?? :rant:

Not sure what the point is, but it's the law to say that when the honey is a mixture from sources inside and outside the EU.

Latest posts

Back