New colony lost queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debbie B

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,
I am very new to beekeeping. I bought a nuc 12 days ago. We saw the queen when we put them in the hive and we saw her again when we inspected the following Sunday. There was a good brood patten at that time as well as 5 empty frames 2 of which were drawn out. We saw a couple of Queen cups with nothing in them but we weren't worried because they had so much space.
We went again to inspect yesterday (Sunday) and there is only capped brood and stores. We didn't see the queen or any eggs or larvae but there are 3 or 4 capped queen cells.
What is happening? Could they be swarming? They are still a small colony and there is plenty of space in the hive. We are assuming something has happened to the queen and they are making a new one. Should we remove all but one of the queen cells?

Contact your supplier, see if they'll replace the queen.
They'll probably argue that there's a possibility that you've squashed her!
If not, I'd go with your assumptions that she's lost and that the colony are replacing her.
Personally, I'd leave all the queen cells, but others might disagree.

At this stage in your career keep it simple. Remove all the queen cells but one. Hopefully this will give you another queen. Ring the supplier and explain that this is what has happened and if it fails is there any chance they will give you a new queen.
If your new queen starts laying and you are not happy with the temperament then consider requeening with a bought queen.
Let us know what happens
E

At this stage in your career keep it simple. Remove all the queen cells but one. Hopefully this will give you another queen. Ring the supplier and explain that this is what has happened and if it fails is there any chance they will give you a new queen.
If your new queen starts laying and you are not happy with the temperament then consider requeening with a bought queen.
Let us know what happens
E

That takes too much time from the colony. IT takes one month that the new Queen start to lay. IT then June and almost August when the new Queen gets new bees. During that time the nuc has become smaller.

Bees decided she was n0t for them, it happens.
As has been said already, leave them be for now and sort this
with the supplier. With luck they'll display some empathy and
show you another queen, and how to introduce her.
If not and you have to buy one, do so... somewhere else.

Bill

Thanks everyone. I spoke with the supplier and they said wait for two or three weeks and see what happens with the queen cells. After that if there is not a new queen laying they said to contact them again and think about requeening.

Thanks everyone. I spoke with the supplier and they said wait for two or three weeks and see what happens with the queen cells. After that if there is not a new queen laying they said to contact them again and think about requeening.

Wait 5 weeks and then requeen? What heck is that advice?

Requeen now... And the bought Queen lays almost 2 brood cycles in 5 weeks.

Emergency queencells (made out of the worker brood cells) or swarm cells at the side of the brood nest?

The hive still has queen cells, so it is not a lost cause and the build up is delayed. If after 5 weeks then they will probably send a replacement. The queen may have swarmed or got injured in manipulations, it happens. I have dealt with a few beginners, believing their hive to be queenless, buying over £100 worth of queens before seeking help. Only to find a queen already in there and just starting to lay. One reason for belonging to an association who has a mentoring system in place and get local help at the end of the phone. Breeders cannot be expected to offer a free replacement service.

Emergency queencells (made out of the worker brood cells) or swarm cells at the side of the brood nest?
The queen cells are on the edge of the frames

Sorry! new to using forums too. I've just realised I've replied 3 times!

The queen cells are on the edge of the frames
(edit)
!

For a startup ("nuc") it matters little where QCs are located, the fact they are
present in a startup colony should concern your supplier.
Given their reactive to your enquiry I'd urge you to contact another supplier.
As others have indicated the colony has to avoid any delay in going forward.
Sure they will raise a queen however look at the bigger picture to ask yourself
if seeing your first new bees in six weeks time was in the picture when you
decided to buy the nuc?
Act now. It is extra investment but at least you have learnt whom n0t to deal
with - that establishment are not beekeepers.

Bill

Won't be the first time I've seen a nuc swarm - healthy bursting nuc full of bees, desperate to be hived, gets hived but for whatever reason, rather than draw more comb, just swarms

Latest posts

Back