New Bees arrived

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otis Hogg

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10 Nationals, 1 WBC, 1 TBH, 5 Nuc
Hi
Collected my hive and bees yesterday night, had a long day didnt get home untill 11:00pm. I gave them a little hole to get out and by 10:00am this morning things were looking very busy around the hive so I took out the foam altogether. We had about 30-50 bee buzzing around the opening going in and out loaded with pollen. its looking good. Ill post some pics later, I need 10 post before I can add pictures.

Paul

Welcome to this fascinating world. I think the hardest thing for a beginner is leaving them alone!

We had about 30-50 bee buzzing around the opening going in and out loaded with pollen

I think you may have been mistaken. Those 30-50 were likely different bees, not the same ones. Normally, once they go in with pollen they would, eventually, come out without pollen. It makes more sense, really.

I think what you saw was perfectly normal behaviour in the prevailing conditions.

The girls

DSCF2075_zps88314a94.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We had about 30-50 bee buzzing around the opening going in and out loaded with pollen

I think you may have been mistaken. Those 30-50 were likely different bees, not the same ones. Normally, once they go in with pollen they would, eventually, come out without pollen. It makes more sense, really.

I think what you saw was perfectly normal behaviour in the prevailing conditions.

Don't worry Otis.... We all knew what you meant!!? ;)
E

My first inspection

Found the queen, capped brood and capped honey, alls looking ok at the moment.

:Welcome:

Nice looking bees..

Nice bees. Where did you get them? Were they a nuc, full colony, swarm, etc. when you got them?

No particular reason for those questions, just curiosity really. :D

Nice bees. Where did you get them? Were they a nuc, full colony, swarm, etc. when you got them?

No particular reason for those questions, just curiosity really. :D

Hi
I got them a week ago from a nice lady in Hull, a hive and the nuc bees at a very reasoable price. It was my first inspection today just needed to make sure the queen was still there and that there were ok. The bees were very calm so I think alls ok.

Hi Otis,
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your bees. Nice to have posts on here with everything going swimmingly!

Hi all
2nd inspection today, alls still looking good. Got a photo of the Queen, blue pen marks in the middle of the picture (It should be Red for 2013) & lots of capped brood.

The new double beehive setup, the stand was make from an old pallet and scrap wood. All painted with pet friendly paint. I was impressed with my efforts in particular the new landing boards.
First super is now full of honey, 2nd super added this morning.
The new hive is now resident to a new colony of Buckfast bees

:welcome: and I wish you well. Hope you've located your local association. the members will probably be supportive and provide advice.

Just an observation, you seem to have all the frames going across the hive rather than front to back. Is this deliberate?
E

Looking at the hive location piccy, it would appear that the hives need to be worked from the back, therefore 'warm way' is probably best for the beek.

Tim.

First inspection of the new beer yesterday, there doing very well by the looks of things.
There was brood, eggs, lava and honey stores.

Pic 1 Building on a new foundation
Pic 2 One of the middle frames
Pic3 Spot the Supersedure cell (old I hope)
Pic 4 The Queen

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back