new bee hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grunty

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
hi thank you for letting me join.im just writting for a bit of advice ,ive had a few tree bees hovering round my guttering above my bathroom window for a few day there going under a raised roofing tile ,i think it used to be an old birds nest.they dont seem to be bothering me or the family but i do have 2 young girls as do my neibours both sides.all i want to know is how long will they be there and will they sworm us in the garden after the queens eggs have hatched.sorry to be a pain i know nothing about bees :calmdown:

It makes quite a difference what sort of bees they are. If they are bumble bees (furry) then there is unlikely to be an issue. A bumble bee colony lasts one summer, and never gets bigger than a few hundred bees. However they do vary- there is a type called the tree bumble (Bombus hypnorum- google for pics) which has recently arrived in Britain from the continent. This makes rather larger colonies than other bumbles, is a bit more defensive, and might prove an issue if you're close to the nest- if, for example, you like to keep the bathroom window open. Any other sort of bumble bee is unlikely to give any cause for concern.

If they are honey bees then I wouldn't want them living in my house much as I love them, as they can cause issues. The colony gets much bigger and can be there for several years. If you've had a few bees for a few days, they may well be scout bees looking for a new nest site.

If this is the case I would nip it in the bud- the best way would be to find the hole they're going in and block it up, eg with squirty foam.

Some people have honey bees nests in their house with no problem but others have had problems, ad it's easier to deal with now than when theres 50 lb of honey above your ceiling.

I'd advise not to block any holes until you have fully identified what these are and removed them, blocking up the hole afterwards is ok

what might seem as only a few, could be hundreds inside, so dont block them in, as they will find another exit, but maybe inside the house, either find someone that can ID them for you, or call in either a bee keeper or pest control
as it could be bumble,honey,wasps etc

I've had five call outs in the last two weeks from people saying they have honey bees, only for them to be bumble bees, wasps are the only insect I will treat with pesticides, anything else is moved on, or re homed

If they are honey bees then I wouldn't want them living in my house . . . .
If this is the case I would nip it in the bud- the best way would be to find the hole they're going in and block it up, eg with squirty foam.

Some people have honey bees nests in their house with no problem. . . .

Block them in!
:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:
Don't think so, you'll have em digging their way out some other way.
Possibly into the interior or the house. :hairpull::hairpull:

We have a colony in the loft of the local pub. Been there for years, emits the odd swarm (of healthy bees) but no issues for the landlord. He didn't even know they were there till we told him!

hi thank you for letting me join.im just writting for a bit of advice ,ive had a few tree bees hovering round my guttering above my bathroom window for a few day there going under a raised roofing tile ,i think it used to be an old birds nest.they dont seem to be bothering me or the family but i do have 2 young girls as do my neibours both sides.all i want to know is how long will they be there and will they sworm us in the garden after the queens eggs have hatched.sorry to be a pain i know nothing about bees :calmdown:

If indeed there was previously a birds nest then I would say that there is a 90% chance they are bumblebees as they love using old birds nests.
I have had numerous phone calls over the last week about bees that turned out to be bumblebees and my advice is, if they don't cause you a problem, let them get on with their own business. The nest will be empty in Autumn and then you can sort out clearing out the area or blocking up the hole.

Bumblebees will cause no problems to you and your neighbours if not provoked.

hi they are tree bees my m8 poped round said they wont harm you and leave them alone the nest will be empty by august .any ideas folks would I be wise doing that???

That's what I'd do (with two kids, too) - leave them be.

a bit lively

hi we were sat in the garden yesturday the bees are lovely to watch but every so often came down a bit low for my liking we were having a beer ,is it sugary drinks they were sensing ,also when he queens eggs hatch are thereh going to be hundreds of bees sworming round my garden as i have 2 very young girls?:thanks:

Your beer is sugary? I doubt it as you mean it, some unfermentables but most of the sugar has been converted to alcohol. Bees feed mainly from flowers, so fly towards them and take the line of least resistance and a lot of them are close to the ground.

Bumbles are said to be amazing in that they (well some) should not be able to fly due to their size, weight, power, etc. The bees also need to get rid of items from the nest and some of the low flyers may be taking away refuse. Honey bees will carry away dead bees and can be seen doing this on a regular basis. Probably thousands after the winter rest.

So likely perfectly natural activiy.

They will only sting if trapped, normally. Honey bees die after stinging and so might bumbles, I would not be surprised; with umpteen thousands and a relatively huge food store to protect, honey bees can be defensive. Bumbles don't store much honey, so are less defensive, but will protect the nest if attacked.

Bumbles do not swarm. Swarming is the natural mode of reproduction for honey bees. Bumbles start new nests each spring after the mated queens (from the previous late summer period) have dispersed and hibernated for the witer. They are similar to the 'regular' wasps in this respect.

Bumbles are a threatened species and need all the help thet can get from us - humans are the main cause of their demise, after all, what with extensive use of insecticides for food manufacure, change of use of land, pollution, etc, etc.

Can't remember the last time I was stung by a bumble - even though there is usually a nest, or two, around the garden. Many nests simply go unnoticed because very few are observant or interested in looking for them. Only this week I moved one - simply transferred the bird nesting box to a post in my garden - far better than them being destroyed. The fence, which the box was attached to, was being torn down and the man doing the job was frightened of bees.

If stung, I am sure your very young children will soon learn not to play with them. All part of growing up. But they should not be taught to be frightened of them as they really are not dangerous.

happy to watch

sat in the garden all day watching these tree bees drinking beer kids drinking pop eating ice creams never came anywhere near us lovely to watch .after the fantastic advice ive had on here ,ive learnt to respect them there harmless lovely to watch and natures little mates ,and it saved me paying for a burk to remove them

Grunty, what's that all about? Ratcatcher tries to help, makes informative and insightful comments to help you, and ends up with his profession and his humour being insulted. I don't buy your 'try to get a sense of humour u might like it' comment. You added insult to injury and I think he deserves an apology.

those burks as you put it are called pest controllers, and we wouldn't remove/kill bumbles or bees anyway

I do know that .try to get a sense of humour u might like it

and new members often wonder why they don't have more people offering help,
you sir should try getting a little respect for others,

appologies to the gentlemen it was meant to be humour but didnt come across that way ,very sorry ,i do appreciate all the advice and you all seem like descent people . i appologise again to the ratcatcher nothing nasty was meant :sorry:

appologies to the gentlemen it was meant to be humour but didnt come across that way ,very sorry ,i do appreciate all the advice and you all seem like descent people . i appologise again to the ratcatcher nothing nasty was meant :sorry:

I accept your apology, thank you

most pest controllers will not kill bumble bees (me inc) but if you do find one to do it, the most it would cost is between £45-£65
anymore and they are rip off merchants

Latest posts

Back