Neopoll

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
10+
hi all,

I'm thinking of using Neopoll on a couple of my weak Nucs any advice please ,reason these didn't take a lot syrup down late in the season :sifone:

hi all,

I'm thinking of using Neopoll on a couple of my weak Nucs any advice please ,reason these didn't take a lot syrup down late in the season :sifone:

i assume you must have bought it from Godfrey at blackheath....i use it in February to stimulate colonies that are weak though this year i added it in november to a weaker nuc as they still had brood until December

more expensive that bakers fondant though and i use that manley f needed now rather than Neopol

if i use neopol i use 500g in a tesco,s clear chinese takeaway tub so i can monitor how much they take

Fondant is all they need now if low on stores, the Neopoll is best done in mid feb to stimulate brood. I would keep the Neopoll to later as almost 4x the price!

hi colinlee,

I would guess that the weak nucs should survive until January under their own steam - and I would add Neopoll then, if you are concerned about starvation or simply wish to encourage early Spring build-up. (Like MuswellMetro, I suppose that the pollen content of Neopoll will stimulate early brood production).

My dilemma in my apiary has been whether to feed fondant now to an Apidea mininuc which took a regular weekly dollop of Neopoll while filling up nicely with brood in late Autumn, but I have not fed now for 2 weeks, expecting the demand on stores to be tailing off into the winter (first frosts here in central London this weekend).

I am torn between insuring that they avoid starvation - and overstimulating any laying tendency before late January. It also doesn't help that they built brood comb which fits nicely into the nuc's feeder tray and it was getting laid up in early January.

In this context, am I right to see Neopoll as a brood stimulant and fondant as a basic food ? And if so, should I continue to withhold any more food at this stage of their development ?

Any suggestions welcome..

Fondant is all they need now if low on stores, the Neopoll is best done in mid feb to stimulate brood. I would keep the Neopoll to later as almost 4x the price!

I agree, but they local beekeeper shop at blackheath only sells Neopol not fondant, so you get a sales pitch of how good it is

i would not think using neopol at xmas on a weak nuc instead of fondant would affect anything other than your pocket

Neopoll is good for the right job, but fondant is probably what is needed now. Neopoll will do no harm, all it will do is make a richer christmas for a bee supplier.

neopoll

Hi All,

Thanks for the insight on when to use Neopoll, yes it was from Godfrey without the banter !!!!.if the nucs are getting worse I'l give them the good old fashion bags of cane sugar dolloped in hot water and onto crown board then Neopoll in late january onwards..:sifone:

Latest posts

Back