Neopoll Vs Syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freckledbeck

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
As I only have 3 colonies I think I may spoil my bees and buy some Neopoll instead of making syrup, would this be better for the bees? (and justify the extra expense!)
Plus how much (roughly) would each colony need to see them through winter until the nectar flows?

I intend to feed syrup hard after the varroa treatment, the bees take this down and store it in the brood chamber. I have found that if I keep the hive weight above 40kg (OMF,brood,solid crown board and roof, all Commercial) they winter well. If the weight drops to close to 40kgs I feed fondant or in your case Neopoll placed directly on the frame top bars.

Sorry a rather long winded way of saying Syrup in the Autumn and fondant/neopoll during the winter if necessary and as a spring booster.:D

you want to feed Nectpol instead of syrup,

i would not advise it, as they bees will need a lot of water and lot of extra works to covert it to capped sugar in the brood

so i expected they would not get enough stores in the brood and they would starve in mid winter, due to lack of accessable stores because they would need to break cluter to eat the nectpol above the frames

give them a treat of it at christmas, some in february and march and a light 50% syrup as the Crocus and pussy willow flowers

Thanks MM, that makes sense. I just thought it may be better for them than syrup. Funnily enough when I looked on the modern beekeeping website, they had sold out of Neopoll, but I guess beeks order it now to use later. (as you suggested above)

You lift them off the ground and times x 2. If you think the weight is 20lb then probably it is in reality some 40lb. This is called "hefting a hive"

To be sure invest in a cheap spring scale and check.

PH

Latest posts

Back