Neighbours are so lovely

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Not!

I think I posted a while back about our neighbour who pulled out of a field on his quad bike into the side of my wife's car and subsequently accused us of fraud... I was "doorstepped" by him again today. This time he accused me of illegally cutting his hedge. There's a patchy hedge alongside our drive, entirely on our land, where (I assume) birds have sat on a fence and spread stones from sloes that have since germinated. The Calor Gas delivery man decided it was overgrown and refused to deliver, so a couple of weeks ago I laid it all. It doesn't look too bad considering it was my first ever attempt. Certainly it could be a lot worse. Anyhow, according to my neighbour this hedge doesn't belong to me because when he sold off the land that forms our property he retained ownership of the hedges and fences that were easy to maintain. Never mind that this "hedge" didn't even exist at the time of the sale. He also claimed that the trees that have since been planted along our side of the fence also form part of his hedge, even if they're just solitary trees. And the boundary hedge between his field and my veggie plot is also his, because he wouldn't cut it with his flail otherwise. The fact that his claims defied any kind of logic really didn't seem to matter to him.

Well, I checked the deeds for the original sale this evening (they were returned to me by the bank or whoever was keeping them because when we bought the place everything had gone electronic). It doesn't mention anything about hedges. It just says that he owns the fence that forms the boundary. The one he cuts with a flail actually belongs to us. So if anything, he's the one who is guilty of doing what he has accused me of.

I knew something was up when I saw him taking photos around the edges of his field last weekend, but I am slightly relieved to find out what, and that it shouldn't present me with too many problems. It is tempting to wait until next winter and lay lots more just to see what happens though. What's really bizarre is that I know he possesses a copy of the deeds (because I've seen him referring to them in the past), so he could actually check the details for himself. But instead he invents some new version of reality to suit himself and then attempts to browbeat and threaten everyone else into accepting that he is right.

James

Not!

I think I posted a while back about our neighbour who pulled out of a field on his quad bike into the side of my wife's car and subsequently accused us of fraud... I was "doorstepped" by him again today. This time he accused me of illegally cutting his hedge. There's a patchy hedge alongside our drive, entirely on our land, where (I assume) birds have sat on a fence and spread stones from sloes that have since germinated. The Calor Gas delivery man decided it was overgrown and refused to deliver, so a couple of weeks ago I laid it all. It doesn't look too bad considering it was my first ever attempt. Certainly it could be a lot worse. Anyhow, according to my neighbour this hedge doesn't belong to me because when he sold off the land that forms our property he retained ownership of the hedges and fences that were easy to maintain. Never mind that this "hedge" didn't even exist at the time of the sale. He also claimed that the trees that have since been planted along our side of the fence also form part of his hedge, even if they're just solitary trees. And the boundary hedge between his field and my veggie plot is also his, because he wouldn't cut it with his flail otherwise. The fact that his claims defied any kind of logic really didn't seem to matter to him.

Well, I checked the deeds for the original sale this evening (they were returned to me by the bank or whoever was keeping them because when we bought the place everything had gone electronic). It doesn't mention anything about hedges. It just says that he owns the fence that forms the boundary. The one he cuts with a flail actually belongs to us. So if anything, he's the one who is guilty of doing what he has accused me of.

I knew something was up when I saw him taking photos around the edges of his field last weekend, but I am slightly relieved to find out what, and that it shouldn't present me with too many problems. It is tempting to wait until next winter and lay lots more just to see what happens though. What's really bizarre is that I know he possesses a copy of the deeds (because I've seen him referring to them in the past), so he could actually check the details for himself. But instead he invents some new version of reality to suit himself and then attempts to browbeat and threaten everyone else into accepting that he is right.

James
If it's hanging over the boundary you can cut it back to the line and give him back the clippings.

Just grub it out. Leave the fence untouched.

Ahhh farmers, the great "custodians of the countryside". They don't do anything unless there's a grant, litter with plastic feed containers, leave dead sheep in ditches and culverts, fences falling down, gates hanging off hinges and tied up with bailer twine. "Feed the nation", haha.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't stir up trouble.

Ahhh farmers, the great "custodians of the countryside". They don't do anything unless there's a grant, litter with plastic feed containers, leave dead sheep in ditches and culverts, fences falling down, gates hanging off hinges and tied up with bailer twine. "Feed the nation", haha.
typical attitude of the out of touch outcomer really

Please don't tar all farmers with the same brush most are doing a good job ,and having to put up with the moaners who think the countryside is an idyllic place out of some comic book. There will always one or two who are bad just the same as in other things.

Please don't tar all farmers with the same brush most are doing a good job ,and having to put up with the moaners who think the countryside is an idyllic place out of some comic book. There will always one or two who are bad just the same as in other things.
Of course not all farmers are bad. There are some very good ones. JB, outcomer ???? I've lived in the countryside most of my life.

Ahhh farmers, the great "custodians of the countryside". They don't do anything unless there's a grant, litter with plastic feed containers, leave dead sheep in ditches and culverts, fences falling down, gates hanging off hinges and tied up with bailer twine..............
If I had your experience of any farmer where I live I would be speaking to the farmer about the pollution of water courses and question why livestock are not appropriately fenced.

Two options,one:you're not far from Bristol where there will be someone who, for a small fee, could disappear him or two: let karma do it for free -this may take longer but ultimately its more satisfying.
I've got people who got onto my list fifty years ago.
Patience young Jedi.

Not!

James
Sounds like he went to the Donald Trump cotillion and lives in a post truth world.

Last edited:

No farmers = no food.
A simple equation I thought was obvious.
Clearly I am incorrect.

No farmers = no food.
A simple equation I thought was obvious.
Clearly I am incorrect.
good God man! everyone knows that food comes from Waitrose
Or Lidl of you're poor/sensible

My next door neighbours are retired farmers.

He may have been holding the paper deed, to make everyone think he is an authority, not knowing that you have a copy also.

Of course not all farmers are bad. There are some very good ones. JB, outcomer ???? I've lived in the countryside most of my life.
You only have to look to Jeremy Clarkson to see the perfect role model for modern farming in the UK 🤔🤣
Ps he's also a beek apparently.

Back