Need to kill off one of my hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gregior,

Good result - this forum is absolute magic.

i was wondering will these bees remain aggro or take on the temperament of the hive they go to?

and good question - ime the problem stops within a day or so, probably because these stay behind bees just run out of lifespan!

richard

a very kind (and brave) forum member came round tonight to remove the hive to his remote apiary for requeening(picking up 5 stings for his trouble) so the forum comes up trumps again:winner1st:

Brilliant news. Well done both of you.:hurray:

(We could do with a 'forum power' smiley!)

Last edited:
I will let you know how it gets on... And for the record it is by far the worst hive I have come across as well... So not looking forward to going through it to find the queen!
They were bouncing off my head and welcoming us before we even started... Petrol may well be an option i resort to!

This thread sickens me! another example of disposable beekeeping. Don't like the bees - then just kill them and get a nicer lot. Terrible

Glad to hear you solved your problem. Would be even gladder if the notion of killing entire colonies, or siting colonies next to public footpaths never entered anyone's head in the first place.

Last edited:
This thread sickens me! another example of disposable beekeeping. Don't like the bees - then just kill them and get a nicer lot. Terrible

:iagree:

Why not kill off the other hives as we'll because I'm sure when you inspect them being so close to the footpath people are getting stung.

If you need it gone that bad then give it away. I'm sure someone would be pleased to give them a new home on a more adequate site.

Goodness me, some folk are quick to judge. I don't think the OP has done anything wrong here, and in fact done the right thing. I would suggest he is far from being a novice. The siting of his hives have been at the edge of a field for a good number of years. He had a hive that turned vicious and asked for help.

Not everyone has an ideal location, and perfect bees. I suspect others in the same situation would have just bumped off the bees

I am just glad I can offer real practical help

Good luck with the bees polomadh I hope you get them sorted and have the room to sort them out as if they are as bad as they sound they could be a hand full. I think some people have just not encountered a situation like this and are lucky to have plenty of room away from innocent people so can take the moral high ground. No one wants to kill off a colony but all of us should be prepared to do so if no other alternative can be found. The situation should not have got to this state but it can happens to the best of us and another case of we never stop learning as the op has with this hive . good luck it will be interesting to hear how you get on.

Goodness me, some folk are quick to judge. I don't think the OP has done anything wrong here, and in fact done the right thing. I would suggest he is far from being a novice. The siting of his hives have been at the edge of a field for a good number of years. He had a hive that turned vicious and asked for help.

Not everyone has an ideal location, and perfect bees. I suspect others in the same situation would have just bumped off the bees

I am just glad I can offer real practical help

Cheers m8 thenks for the help! hope all went well with the move,how were they when you removed the foam?
Good luck with the requeen.
If you need a hand with them give me a shout and i'll do what i can to help out.

Greg

Its nice to see that there is some help about......
More trolls on this forum than "The Three Billy Goats Gruff"

:))

Glad to hear you solved your problem. Would be even gladder if the notion of killing entire colonies, or siting colonies next to public footpaths never entered anyone's head in the first place.

OR even perhaps keeping bees in impossible containers?

My thoughts anyway!

Placing bees next to public footpaths works wonders down here in rural Devon where the tourist kind are not really welcomed with al their loutish behaviour and littering and leaving farm gates open without a second thought that the poor farmer is trying to earn a living, and does not really relish his £100,000 Hereford bull rodgering his neighbours prize Devon Reds!!!!

Oh I just give up with all these mamby pamby bee keepers with soppy ideals!

James

Some of the forumers based in France will hopefully know more about this than me. If I remember correctly, in parts of France, ordinances are in place which require there to be a barrier of perhaps 3m height between beehives and public footpaths. This forces the bees to go up and keeps them away from pedestrians. There is wisdom in this and not just bureaucracy.

Préfecture de la CREUSE Arrêté n°29.81 du 17 mars 1981

Bois, landes ou friches : 5 m
Etablissements à caractère collectif (hôpitaux, écoles, casernes, etc.) : 30 m
Voie publique et propriétés voisines : 20 m
10 m si l’envol des abeilles se fait à l’opposé de la voie publique ou des propriétés voisines
Ne sont assujetties à aucune prescription de distance les ruches isolées des propriétés voisines ou des chemins publics par un mur, une palissade en planches jointes, une haie vive ou sèche, sans solution de continuité. Ces clôtures doivent avoir une hauteur de 2 mètres au-dessus du niveau de la planche d’envol la plus élevée et s’étendre sur au moins 2 mètres de chaque côté de la ruche.

I love this forum, and so many times the people here have helped me. Very interesting thread. So glad the problem was solved.

A quick update, the queen was duly despatched yesterday, and (hopefully) re queened today... As they were bouncing off my head today, I had the thought that if someone wanted to commit suicide, by letting a beehive get you, this hive would be the one to do it with. This hive could quite easily kill you, should you go into it without any kit on

My experience is that they will be fine for a while , but still aggressive, then one bee will sting me, and then there is a bit of a frenzy for a while, during which I loose count of the hits i get

Ah well, hopefully they will start to calm down a bit now

I had the thought that if someone wanted to commit suicide, by letting a beehive get you, this hive would be the one to do it with.

Yea i was seriously considering that at one stage! :cuss:

Let the nasty buggers work their wings off for you the rest of the season then nice new bees for next year and plenty of honey too -result!

Last edited:
[quoteI had the thought that if someone wanted to commit suicide, by letting a beehive get you, this hive would be the one to do it with.[/quote]

Yea i was seriously considering that at one stage! :cuss:

Let the nasty buggers work their wings off for you the rest of the season then nice new bees for next year and plenty of honey too -result!

Wow. I went to do my normal weekly inspection yesterday and got half way down the six supers before collecting five stings having taken notice too late of the roar that came from the bees. I was very interested to read all the posts on here. NOW, I think the thread should be deleted before someone with not so good intentions takes some of the advice on how to kill the colony and puts it to use.

Latest posts

Back