National hives from China

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big or small IF you can form a co-operative in your area YOU could benefit from buying power............... WE Have AND it works [Tamar Valley Honey Co-op]

BEES BENEFIT !

Thanks for the link DR, but i was hoping umm maybe wishing uk dadant spec.

"WE Have AND it works"

except for when buying one off chinese hives!

At my own expense I should add!

Added to a container load of Chinese fishing rods, telescopes, paint ball masks, toboggans. and sundry other goods.
Telescopes are brilliant buy I should add !
Was going to get a Chinese motorcycle but was advised against it... but for £150 was a bargain!
Big problem with getting samples in from China to evaluate is that subsequent quality may not be as good as the sample...............

If you come across any uk spec ,give us a pm DR.cheers

If you remember buyer beware then all should be good.

I pointed out before that this forum has considerable purchasing power but in the end it all got too difficult with the logistics and it fell apart. There is a wee lesson there.

PH

Polyhive - very true, I recollect your attempt.

"where are your polys from BTW?"

"Barnstaple, Devon, UK"

Don't you mean Finland?

Dark kettles spring to mind!

No. I don't mean Finland because I am not the distributor and don't get them 'trade'.

Verstein sie!

BTW our Queens come from Exmoor, not Denmark.

Our foundation comes from England made from wax from English bees.

Our frames are made in England too.

Do you think we should be a bit more Tseco-like and screw the local suppliers instead, or is it better to be surrounded by people who are not starving as a result - rhetorical.

Last edited:
"No. I don't mean Finland because I am not the distributor and don't get them 'trade'."

excuse the language BUT B*ll*cks. That's not far off the excuses given at Nuremburg and in the Hague.

don't get on high horses criticising those who buy from abroad to get the price/quality that suits them whilst purchasing imported goods (at inflated retail prices).

I buy MB because they do Jumbo LS in Poly. I accept the compromise re non UK goods.

Where do the big UK players source their Cedar I wonder?

wightbees - these people offer to do LS on request. presume could also do jumbos or even MD.

Prices for 10 DBs with porches (flatpacked buy floor, roof and crownboard made up) = €575 (iVA included). €500 minus porch (presume this has detachable floor as we are used to here - with spring catches).

http://www.enolapi.it/Listino2011/Enolapi2011.pdf

I don't think products made in china are as good as other countries and Europe, a few examples snap on toolboxes camera lenses, abu and penn fishing reels. Iam not saying all items are sub standard coming from China but they do cut corners on production to produce good cheaper than the rest of the world, buy cheap buy twice and if you have money you have an option no money no option.

some things you don't have a choice - especially in the renewables markets.

or of course computing - the sustainable bespoke top grade walnut tablet is out of the reach of most!!!! and even then the workings are made abroad.

That's wonderful and I'm sure we're all very pleased you can come on here and shout about how your buying power gets you the bottom prices. This is very obvious and easily discoverable in any sphere of large scale commerce and we wish you good luck in continuing your father's business.

When I am brining in a big order of stuff those around me, amateur and professional alike, get a chance to share in the purchase, until the load is fully booked. Hence there are a vast number now of these frames especially in service around the land at very fair prices. Only yesterday someone came to me and bought 400 of the deep frames from Romania. I do not believe in keeping the cake to myself and it makes me cringe seeing the prices you guys have to pay. So long as you are able to organise yourselves you will ALL be able to share in the benefits of major not for profit purchasing that will be a 'down the line' function of the co-operative that is building the sterilising plant.

I have heard wax carries disease so assume the NZ stuff has the UK stamp of approval.

The UK not much interested, and the purchase from NZ was strongly approved of in official circles as it was from an EFB free country. If you know of a disease in their wax please tell what it is. NZ is a far healthier bee country than ours. The last consignment was 6 tonnes of milled foundation of various sizes, and almost half of that was for other people who were delighted with the quality and price.
What you MAY be referring to was an impurity that was present in some NZ wax samples. Nowadays every wax batch there has to have an analysis done on it and a certificate of conformity issued before it can go for export. Much NZ wax is exported in bulk, and a lot of it comes to the UK. Much of it (and Australian btw) ends up in premium wax sold here.
Most of the cheaper grade waxes contain wax from China and Africa.
Having seen bulk consignments of wax from several countries I can assure you that the UK product is actually pretty nondescript and inconsistent (even my own) and I have no issues about buying the product from these premium countries.

"No. I don't mean Finland because I am not the distributor and don't get them 'trade'."

excuse the language BUT B*ll*cks. That's not far off the excuses given at Nuremburg and in the Hague.

don't get on high horses criticising those who buy from abroad to get the price/quality that suits them whilst purchasing imported goods (at inflated retail prices).

I buy MB because they do Jumbo LS in Poly. I accept the compromise re non UK goods.

Where do the big UK players source their Cedar I wonder?

Very noble of you stitson but predictably boring and you reveal yourself as a self-made man for the comparison.

The "Oh dear! I wonder where the wood comes from.. luvvy" slap my buttocks :willy_nilly:

is simply answered and has been by a man who would know.

My point has been missed and I do not wish to attempt further explanation.

PS

Hardly a reason to bring up such foul work by long dead members of your profession.

Into lions den

You are a rarity. If commercial beekeeping were as popular here as it is in the USA I'm sure that would bring the price down and raise the efficiency here also. I am talking about everyday living

The "Oh dear! I wonder where the wood comes from.. luvvy" slap my buttocks :willy_nilly:

is simply answered and has been by a man who would know.

OK. Last time I was quoted for some equipment by the 'Big T' I was offered two grades of cedar. Economy cedar, used in the making of seconds and sale lines, of UK origin (they actually referred to it as UK cedar). Premium cedar was considerably more expensive and was imported. So they do both. I presume, as for most of us, price and availability determine source.

Last time I bought redwood gear from a UK maker the wood came from Russia.

Last time I bought frames from a UK maker the wood was from Finland. The UK wood available at the time was 'too short jointed and too many knots'.

If you want insularity and only to buy UK products you have to remember that those damn foreigners can do just the same. Where would your British jobs be if we had no exports or imports? We are a trading nation, and our prosperity depends on that.

Into lions den

You are a rarity. If commercial beekeeping were as popular here as it is in the USA I'm sure that would bring the price down and raise the efficiency here also. I am talking about everyday living

Not so. Go to most countries and commercials are just as sparse on the ground as they are here, if not even more so. The thing that costs you all a fortune is lack of organisation. Sadly beekeeper organisations in this country (at all levels) have a task akin to herding cats.

Other countries do it so why not here? You CAN group purchase for best prices. There just seems not to be the will to do so.

Club together. Group purchase. Simplify the list of standard gear. Then you can get prices just as sharp as I can get. Seriously, other countries DO manage.

"Sadly beekeeper organisations in this country (at all levels) have a task akin to herding cats."

OH should make a good beek leader then!!!!

Latest posts

Back