Nailer recommendations please?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Ok so had three bad experiences with Tacwise so not interested in them as they very rapidly jam solid in my experience.

Budget of £100 and over to you. Must be electric as no compressor.

PH

All I can offer is don't get the Lidl one, jams for a past-time or does not drive the nails in/bends them

I looked at nailers and come to the conclusion that air was the best bet. You can get smaller compressor but i have no idea what they are like as still looking. Watching this thread with interest:)

I would prefer a range from 3/8ths to 3/4 quarters or 12mm to 20mm.

Really prefer powered by electricity.

KISS

PH

when did you last use a tacwise nailer Polyhive, i use a 500els and have built thousands of frames with it, its no longer made but the new model is supposed to be good

I bought the new Tacwise model: TacWise TAC1176 181ELS Master Nailer Pro Nailer earlier this year. They now seem to have sorted out the jamming problem at last - 60+ frames without missing a beat.

I bought a Makita XNB01Z brad nailer about 4 months ago on ebay and have used it extensively to nail frames together. I am driving 18 ga. galvanized 32 mm brad nails. I purchased the nailer, batteries, and charger separately for a total price about $370 U.S.

I've had 1 jam with it in about 6000 nails driven. That was on the last nail in a bunch that managed to hit the slit just a bit off center and folded. I had to take the head apart to remove it. This was easily done with the allen wrench supplied.

The only significant complaint I have is that it is a bit heavier than I would like to use.

Positives:
1. it has a "tap" mode that really speeds up frame assembly
2. There is a light focused fairly well on the area to be nailed
3. It is easily adjustable to drive the nail deep or shallow as desired
4. batteries can be purchased with a range of capacity. 3000 mah is adequate. I got 6000 mah but they are larger and add to the weight of the nailer.

With due diligence, good brad nails can be purchased for about $2.50 U.S. per thousand. I've bought 2 packs of 5000 so far.

Makita XNB01Z nailer - $230
Makita LXT 3000 mah batteries 2 for @$70
Makita DC1830 charger - $72

I bought the tacwise some 2 years ago, and it lasted 10 minutes before jamming. I had it replaced by Thornes. The replacement lasted the same time and is somewhere in the garage. I bought another from Argos for half the price, odd that, and hey? 10 minutes again and got my money back.

I would not buy another of that brand for the above reason.

As stated I want an electric nailer which can drive 3/8ths and 3/4 nails.

32mm is no use as I don't use them even for Langstroth frames.

PH

I have Rapid R 606. IT works very well and rarely jams. Easy to clear
Price 200 €.

Nails are expencive. I use 14 mm spikes.

100 frames need 1000 spices. Price is 17 €.

Cheaper electrict guns have broken and jammed all the time.

Bought an Tackwise hobby El53 as an experiment.

So far, it has done around 4,000 frames and is still going.

I found the tacks that came with it extremely frustrating and jammed regularly.

My second batch of tacks bought from screwfix had no jamming issues.

I buy Screwfix 79722 tacks (Tacwise Galvanised Brad Nails 18ga x 15mm 5000 Pack).

I found the same thing as peteinwilts, the tacks that came with the tackwise are horrible and jam constantly, ones bought separately are no problem at all..

I have bought today this one as amongst the 5* reviews was a beekeeper.

Titan TTB517STP

We shall see.

PH

I use a Ryobi-One which is cordless and is fantastic... I had a tacwise originally and it was fine but I got fed up with the power cord getting in the way... Much quicker process with the Ryobi. I'd be lost without it.

I have bought today this one as amongst the 5* reviews was a beekeeper.

Titan TTB517STP

We shall see.

PH

What nails are you intending to use PH?

I got myself tacwise duo 50. have had couple of jams but nothing constant. Even though they say it takes 20 - 50 mm nails i use in mine 15mm if needed. Done about 500 frames plus all the other normally nail and hammer jobs. Regret not buying it earlier to be honest.

Lauri

Mine just jammed solid, no way could I clear it.

Bought nails from S/fix to use in the new machine which I get tomorow.

PH

Latest posts

Back