Mystery nibbler!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does it taste like? Genuine question here.
Well it's an acquired taste but all our family on it. Initially bought it from a company by the bottle but then had my own grains. I did a lot of research on it and it's very interesting reading. Must people with today's lifestyle have an inbalance of gut bacteria off 80% bad 20 good, this readdresses the balance. This company sent samples to Aberystwyth University for tests and the results are incredible. Not only for digestive issues is used for many other things. I've been making my own for over 3 years with goats milk, cows can be used. Even for lactose intolerant because of the process is fine to use

I need to experiment with things as hospital treatment has left me with significant reflux. I’m a pill for every ill girl so I’m happy taking PPIs but I could do with something holistic in the background. I shall have a look around. If you can recommend something then please do PM me if you have time. Saves cluttering up the thread 😉

Ithink
I need to experiment with things as hospital treatment has left me with significant reflux. I’m a pill for every ill girl so I’m happy taking PPIs but I could do with something holistic in the background. I shall have a look around. If you can recommend something then please do PM me if you have time. Saves cluttering up the thread 😉
I think I've sent you the message OK haven't used pm before!!

when I was nipper too

I didn’t start school until ‘53, so you have a few years on me.:) All our school milk was in 1/3rd pint bottles.

A regular Co-op delivery arrived every week after a Mr France/Francis wrote down the order every Friday afternoon while seated at the kitchen table. A mobile butcher van visited every Wednesday, the laundry van came early on a Thursday (and often stopped at the end of his round for a cuppa), the baker came in a van twice a week (IIRC) and the egg man collected the eggs regularly (once or twice each week).

There were other mobile sellers, feedstock reps, coal merchants, etc arriving on a fairly regular or intermittent basis. I guess, although we had a telephone, many customers who relied on making regular orders, but lived out in the sticks, did not.

Your reflux suggest hiatus hernia to me. Seen you quack lately?

I agree, remember the old milk bottles with foil tops they were soon into them and anything with foil on they will soon have holes in it
What do you mean, "the old milk bottles"? My milkman still brings bottles with foil tops. Before I had a porch build I left him little plant pots to slip over the bottles. He now puts them in the porch.

Re milk. We nip up to the local farm who sells unpasteurised milk. My wife had gastric problems for years. Read that pasteurised milk could be a problem. Swapped to this and it went overnight. Amazing! Lovely milk too. Straight from the cow with no messing around!

I lived opposite a dairy farm in Cheshire in the 70s, the family would take milk from the tank in the dairy for domestic use - all except their daughter aged 5-6. She thought that practice unwholesome - she saw that it had just come from the cows - so her mother had to discretely decant the milk into milk bottles to satisfy her daughter's fad.

For 20 years here in Suffolk we have bought unpasteurised Jersey milk from the weekly farmers' market. Like the girl in Cheshire, my brother (food scientist) and sister (microbiologist) were horrified when they both came to stay......

Your reflux suggest hiatus hernia to me. Seen you quack lately?
@Arfermo
Crossing swords with you on another thread has reminded me to thank you. Your diagnosis was correct Dr Arfermo.
My quack wouldn’t entertain it so I took myself off for a private Gastroscopy.

@Arfermo
Crossing swords with you on another thread has reminded me to thank you. Your diagnosis was correct Dr Arfermo.

@afermo, if I've understood what happened here correctly, that's an incredibly impressive diagnostic capability you have.

Wilco said:
@afermo, if I've understood what happened here correctly, that's an incredibly impressive diagnostic capability you have.
Not at all - just dogged persistence.

Yes. It would have saved me £2K if I’d believed him. 😂😂

I would have asked my GP to get a second opinion before launching into the private sector at £2k for a simple diagnosis and a daily couple of pills, often to the same private medical practice where your GP could be doing business too (my wife worked as a radiographer in private practices for most of her career and even x-rayed Winston Churchill once and Paul McCartney and family umpteen times, Spike Milligan, Ludovic Kennedy and his missus too). I did what I have advised here with my wife's dementia and bone density problems - and, by researching on the internet as it happens, got a revised opinion for the alzheimers issue that confirmed my diagnosis. The bone density issue with our (rather snooty) GP arose when I found that, after my wife had a breast cancer op 12 years ago, the GP had been told post- op by the surgeons hospital that her bone density deficiency needed medication. The GP did precisely nothing for some 8 years until I gave him a written jog (no emails to my GPs practice - I wonder why??). She is now on weekly alendronic acid pills and daily calcium pills - and we both have pills for our hiatii(?) hernias too. Snap.
QED. It pays to NOT be in any awe whatsoever of medics. Their performance on the toilet is no different from the rest of us morons. I am NOT remotely a medic either - just an ex public sector rather aged old fart using my noddle!!;);)

Last edited:
I was in medicine for 40 years. Mercifully at the start it was an art as well as a science. Once my Gp sent my wife to hospital. She was anorexic and very underweight at the time. The snooty registrar obviously did not want to get involved with such a patient, diagnosed a mild chest infection and was sending her home with antibiotics. I told him I thought she had lobar pneumonia. He said " how do you know, have you X-rayed her" I replied that I had simply listened to her chest, which he had also sort of done . He reluctantly sent her for an Xray, which showed lobar pneumonia. The next day the consultant told me it was touch and go, but she recovered. Today the doctors are so reliant on investigations they do not know how to properly examine their patients

One of my mates was a paediatrician. Our patients had a lot in common. They couldn’t tell us what was wrong.

I’m the worst patient. Diagnosed my own cancer when even consultant wasn’t convinced. I bet doctors hate people like me. My reflux was doing my head in for the obvious reasons and GP said the likelihood of being seen soon on the nhs was slim and he wouldn’t give me an USC referral so I referred myself. Sometimes you have to take your life into your own hands.

One of my mates was a paediatrician. Our patients had a lot in common. They couldn’t tell us what was wrong.

I’m the worst patient. Diagnosed my own cancer when even consultant wasn’t convinced. I bet doctors hate people like me. My reflux was doing my head in for the obvious reasons and GP said the likelihood of being seen soon on the nhs was slim and he wouldn’t give me an USC referral so I referred myself. Sometimes you have to take your life into your own hands.
When it is life threatening or severely debilitating certainly. My hiatus gave me no trouble but GP was very concerned. thank goodness and insisted I took it more seriously. Glad I did.

I was in medicine for 40 years. Mercifully at the start it was an art as well as a science. Once my Gp sent my wife to hospital. She was anorexic and very underweight at the time. The snooty registrar obviously did not want to get involved with such a patient, diagnosed a mild chest infection and was sending her home with antibiotics. I told him I thought she had lobar pneumonia. He said " how do you know, have you X-rayed her" I replied that I had simply listened to her chest, which he had also sort of done . He reluctantly sent her for an Xray, which showed lobar pneumonia. The next day the consultant told me it was touch and go, but she recovered. Today the doctors are so reliant on investigations they do not know how to properly examine their patients

I've had a couple of recent hospital admissions and it has amazed me that I have never seen a junior doctor on the ward. How can they ever learn the craft?
In our day, Drex, the house surgeon/physician would be the first doctor to visit the patient and record a history (present complaint, past medical history, social history, occupational history etc). Then he would examine the patient (chest, abdo, nervous system) and record the findings. Then order blood tests and X-rays. Then present the findings to the chief on the next ward round.
Well, this no longer happens. The only involvement of the junior in my case was to write the discharge summaries to be sent to the GP - that junior had never met me! The juniors spend their shift in the ward office writing discharge summaries!
To illustrate the point, I'm rather proud that in my year 'on the house'= pond-life doctor, I twice discovered important 'lumps' on the initial examination that would have been otherwise missed because they were outside the field of current interest.

Your diagnosis was correct Dr Arfermo.
My mother has lately been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia, my grandmother (her mother had it too)

Latest posts

Back