Myrtle the New Manuka

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveJ

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Saw an article on page 44 of this months BeeCraft. Anybody know if Myrtle Leptospermum Polygalifolium will grow in our northern climes?

SteveJ

"Myrtle the New Manuka"

I'm sure i read that book as a child! wasn't it by E. Nesbit?

Not a patch on Mr Pinkwhistle interferes though!!!

I think what we need to do is to create a belief that one of our common plants produces a superior honey. In fact I feel sure that Shakespeare mentioned a myrtle plant and that we must have one. Using a plant mentioned by the Bard has some benefits - it is steeped in a history of sorts already. Then again, would not brambles be a really good plant around which to build our story? Or did Florence Nightingale ever mention a plant that is readily available and suits our country?
To go back to Shakespeare,
I know a bank where the wild thyme blows,
Where oxlips and the nodding violet grows,
Quite over-canopied with luscious woodbine,
With sweet musk-roses and with eglantine.
A Midsummer Night’s Dream Quote. Act ii. Scene.1
gives a good start - and I think he also mentions a mulberry tree or planted one for his wife - that would tie in with 'here we go round the mulberry bush' - I feel a story of those who were cured of the plague by mulberry leaves tea.....
Tricia

judging by the Jimmy Doherty prog on last week Himalayan Balsam could be argued to produce honey worth risking life and limb for.

I'd love to see a UK apiary risk assessment for it - "potential for heavy chunk of comb honey to fall on head"

I have 2 L scoparium bushes which flower every year. I bring them into the conservatory in winter.

How about Linden honey as one to promote:

"Linden honey is one of those honey varieties that will completely change the misconception of those who think that honey is no more than just sugared water. It has a light yellow color and a very distinctive yet delicate fresh woody scent. Because of its sedative and antiseptic qualities, it’s one of my favorite honey varieties before bedtime. It is recommended in cases of anxiety and insomnia, whereby honey can be combined with a bath of linden blossoms before sleep. Linden honey is also used in the treatment of colds, cough and bronchitis."

Queen Victoria apparently had very strong opinions on the blossom!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4p0uw42cdo[/ame]

"Linden honey is one of those honey varieties that will completely change the misconception of those who think that honey is no more than just sugared water. It has a light yellow color and a very distinctive yet delicate fresh woody scent. Because of its sedative and antiseptic qualities, it’s one of my favorite honey varieties before bedtime. It is recommended in cases of anxiety and insomnia, whereby honey can be combined with a bath of linden blossoms before sleep. Linden honey is also used in the treatment of colds, cough and bronchitis."

Side splitting. So funny. Thanks for that.

also habituation of a honey hater OH with Linden honey might have fringe benefits that perhaps don't need to go into here!

i can't imagine the "why not try R**e?" or "you've tried everything else, now move onto R**e?" campaigns going down well with general public!

here's a good one "you have our consent to try R**e!"

When stationed in Libya ,the camp ,indeed the whole area was populated by Eucalyptus trees .
These trees gave off such a pungent aroma that we 'erks 'used to refer to them as w**k trees! :blush5:

John Wilkinson

Saw an article on page 44 of this months BeeCraft. Anybody know if Myrtle Leptospermum Polygalifolium will grow in our northern climes?

SteveJ

Don't understand. Leptospermum is manuka, myrtle is Myrtus.

"Don't understand. Leptospermum is manuka, myrtle is Myrtus."

Genus Leptospermum includes many antipodean species including both manuka/tea tree and australian myrtle.

"Don't understand. Leptospermum is manuka, myrtle is Myrtus."

Genus Leptospermum includes many antipodean species including both manuka/tea tree and australian myrtle.

Ah, colonial equivalent then :)

Latest posts

Back