My new employee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
I have managed to get my youngest son to start building the frames for me : ) he's managed 50 in 3 hours but is moaning his hands hurt lol he only has 800 left to build :D it's good though as he's enjoying it and I'm getting him to start on the BB next, we building them from scratch, 60 of them. Lucky he loves wood work and it's a real help for me....Oh yes, I'm having to pay him!!

I have managed to get my youngest son to start building the frames for me : ) he's managed 50 in 3 hours but is moaning his hands hurt lol he only has 800 left to build :D it's good though as he's enjoying it and I'm getting him to start on the BB next, we building them from scratch, 60 of them. Lucky he loves wood work and it's a real help for me....Oh yes, I'm having to pay him!!

No more than £2.50 an hour I hope or is it piecework?

I'm paying him hourly but did think about piece work but then he might just bodge it fast, was my thinking, so hourly and done well.. He is a good nipper and is studying wood work so this should give him some enjoyment. He will be using router table, radial arm saw, band saw and the trusty hammer... How many black Bob's I wonder lol

Supervised I may add on power tools

I have managed to get my youngest son to start building the frames for me : )

Treasure the moment Wightbees. I remember my eldest son sitting out on the patio with me while I put boxes together. He was happy just tapping away with a hammer on a 6" nail I had driven part way into a block of wood.
Simon passed away in 2008 after a bee sting. I can't tell you how much I wish I could turn back the clock!

Last edited:
Nice to hear stories of kids that can use their thumbs for something that's not a phone or an Xbox.

(I suppose I should shut the lid on this laptop and go and make some frames myself)

Lovely memories children give us all, being a dad has it's good points : )

Is he due a workplace pension?

hope you gave him a frame assembly jig to help with the work. Using one gives me 20% less time per frame to assemble them.

I don't think it would help at all with these frames but I stand to be corrected? ( National frames)

I'm impressed! He's back in the workshop hammering away :) he's a real help..

Yes but if he's like me, he will be wanting a pay rise soon :D

Latest posts

Back