my hives with the mountains of mourne in the background.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful.

You are not one of those that curtains the front of the hive so the bees don't get confused by the snow and fly out upside down and kill themselves in it I see.

Very nice pic,thank you..

I see like me you use Duck tape in the apiary,they say if you remove all the Duck tape from the ISS it would fall to pieces.

Not a bad view I suppose...;)

An excellent view - at least, it is when seen from behind.... I used to live at Peel on the Isle of Man:seeya: and could see the Mournes clearly from my top attic window on a clear day! Lovely sunsets...

Mine have attractive duct tape go-faster stripes as well!:auto:

i lost a few in the snow,i even even have a pic with them sprinkled all in front of the hive dead,but am too ashamed to put it up;o(...but as it was my first winter am learning all the time and the boards at the doors will be in place next year..
heres another question,them mountains you see in the background be alive with heather come july and august,its a good 3/4 miles ad say,would my bees go that far you think?
Also last august i climbed that highest mountain you can see and there was honey bees right at the top peaks on the heather but they were from hives around the base of the mountains.
Darren

Well, the thing with heather is that bees are likely to travel to it because there is often not much else for them in Aug/Sept - apart form the heather, the season has long finished. Added to that, the weather in Aug/Sept can be very dry and warm and this can mean that bees can travel great distances.

Note, though, that heather honey isn't your typical runny honey and cannot be extracted in the normal way using an extractor. Having a good supply of heather may mean that you can hold back with your winter feeding.

Also, some beeks in Ulster might well bring their bees to the mountains for the heather.

Yes, been to that part of the world. Very nice.

Latest posts

Back