My first poly hive - advice on using

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed. But I don't really trust a brick, so I use a strap. My question was why, if you strap the hive, do you also use a brick?

Place 2 large concrete blocks beneath the hive with the strap underneath them
Place strap over the roof and tighten
Place one concrete block on top
use 20N blocks

I have seen some with ring anchors fixed into concrete blocks with the strap running through them
The brick is used to prevent the roof from blowing away as the P***** polly material is lightweight... well lighter than a tin covered cedar one.

I had an apiary on a clifftop that was in receipt of the predominant south westerlies... the brick was essential to avoid a long search for an itinerant roof!

The ground where my hives are is uneven so the hive stands have been made by driving fenceposts well into the ground and making a level platform with heavy duty pallets using the posts as the legs. Nothing shifts those. The hives are strapped to the pallets.

Place 2 large concrete blocks beneath the hive with the strap underneath them
Place strap over the roof and tighten
Place one concrete block on top
use 20N blocks

I have seen some with ring anchors fixed into concrete blocks with the strap running through them
The brick is used to prevent the roof from blowing away as the P***** polly material is lightweight... well lighter than a tin covered cedar one.

I had an apiary on a clifftop that was in receipt of the predominant south westerlies... the brick was essential to avoid a long search for an itinerant roof!

Oh my goodness!!! In Finnish: hyvät hyssykät!!!

I too have both a hive strap and a brick on the top of my hives. Never thought about why both, till now. To be sure, I guess.

Other tips, all previously mentioned.

I painted my hives with the paint recommended by the manufacturer. I also put Vaseline on the joints to prevent them getting wholly propolised, but they still do.

I did make my own crown board to provide a bee space on top of the frames and use the plastic sheet provided on the top of the eke/super.

I used an entrance reducer, then attached the mouseguard to it with drawing pins. Seemed to work fine.

Things I take care with.
It's not always easy to take the roof off without disrupting the components of the rest of the hive. Likewise, the roof fits very snugly so make sure you have it in position when replacing it. Don't be too handy with your hive tool when levering parts of the hive apart.

I've heard woodpeckers can cause problems with attacking the roof. Does anyone protect the roof with a layer of metal such as can be found on typical wooden hives?

Also how do you clear the bees from supers? I'm guessing a clearer board with porter bee escapes fits between them OK.

Thanks

Any clearer board. I don't like porters and have made my own boards from rhombus escapes. I also have one canadian clearer board....works very quickly.

I've heard woodpeckers can cause problems with attacking the roof. Does anyone protect the roof with a layer of metal such as can be found on typical wooden hives?
That's not the function of the metal.
Usual attack is at the side - often starting from handhold indents.
They'll go through wood almost as easily as plastic.
Plastic might be easier for the unskilled to repair ...

Also how do you clear the bees from supers? I'm guessing a clearer board with porter bee escapes fits between them OK.

Any clearer board. I don't like porters and have made my own boards from rhombus escapes.
Me too.
Easy after B&Q have cut your ply sheet to the appropriate size(s). You need an eke/frame at least an inch tall for a Rhombus. An Apiguard eke would work with an unframed board.

Last edited:
There is a convenient levering site for initial splitting under the narrower centre pillar, it will lead your hive tool directly to the mating faces.

That is not needed. It is better that boxes stay together.

Quite so...........we NEVER use anything between the boxes.
We also never allow the use of J hive tools, but thats another story gone into long ago and which proved amazingly divisive for such a small detail.

Latest posts

Back