My first OMF floor!

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Curly green fingers

This is my first attempt at making a floor. I've used pine 90 mm x 15 mm off cuts. As you can see its not a full OMF floor.
Because this floor is going to be used for over wintering mainly. The entrance is 9mm because I don't like entrance blocks or mouse guards. I think using 9mm entrance's all year long is the way to go so I plan to do so.

I've used water based Lindsey teak protector which I found in the shed.
Two coats applied with a 1inch paint brush.
The mesh is 3mm gauge, I've used two layers over lapped so the overall gauge is smaller. The mesh is metal coated with plastic so it won't rust.
I've put a door step on the front at a 35 degree angle. for rain run off and so my girls have somewhere to land.

I wanted to say that hedgerow Pete's thread on hive painting was very helpful. For other new bee's search hive painting in the search button, or search for hedgerow pete!

Thanks for reading mark.
424bb2bbe178cc61f1598ccf2af9952f.jpg
a49fba133b35ec345a5971df0b236808.jpg

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

That looks ok to me Green Fingers, you do not need a full mesh floor and many on here use half mesh floors which basically gives you the best of both with the added bonus of being able to make two out of one sheet of mesh.. ;)

Your write there Steve I've probably gone a bit Ott on the mesh . hive body's and roofs next..
:hairpull: its all good fun. I should really be thinking about DIY not building hives:icon_204-2:

Like.

p.s. how does the under-side look?

p.p.s. what tools did you use/what tools does your ‘workshop’ have?

Last edited:
Like.

p.s. how does the under-side look?

p.p.s. what tools did you use/what tools does your ‘workshop’ have?

The under side is just open I plan to incorporate an inspection tray, or just use it open to the ground .
I don't really have a work shop as such more of a potting shed attached to a tunnel..
I've used screws 3mm x 30 mm pre drilled to stop cracking for the joints / sides ect..
For the floor dove tale joints with PVA glue . The mesh is stapled with 8 mm plastic coated staples again to stop rusting.
The tools I used were a makita drill , three wood chisels , a metal hammer, two g clamps, and a 1 inch paint brush for the glue and the wood preservative . also a small vice I have attached to a bench that's about it .

I hope this answers your question's
Cheers mark.
Mr part I'll look the plans up for the floor cheers!

Last edited:
Lovely job
You’ve shamed me into fixing my floors
I’m putting in some runners underneath so that the inspection tray is tight under the omf. Then a 7mm hole at the back above the omf ( I have top space so the floors have a rim) for the Sublimox.

The under side is just open I plan to incorporate an inspection tray, or just use it open to the ground .
I don't really have a work shop as such more of a potting shed attached to a tunnel..
I've used screws 3mm x 30 mm pre drilled to stop cracking for the joints / sides ect..
For the floor dove tale joints with PVA glue . The mesh is stapled with 8 mm plastic coated staples again to stop rusting.
The tools I used were a makita drill , three wood chisels , a metal hammer, two g clamps, and a 1 inch paint brush for the glue and the wood preservative . also a small vice I have attached to a bench that's about it .

I hope this answers your question's
Cheers mark.
Mr part I'll look the plans up for the floor cheers!

Cool.

Lovely job
You’ve shamed me into fixing my floors
I’m putting in some runners underneath so that the inspection tray is tight under the omf. Then a 7mm hole at the back above the omf ( I have top space so the floors have a rim) for the Sublimox.

Not so sure you want it tight under the omf, won't the critters crawl back up, surely defeats the object.
E

Not so sure you want it tight under the omf, won't the critters crawl back up, surely defeats the object.
E

What would be the ideal space for your inspection tray/board from the OMF ?
As i was thinking of having mine open to the ground aprox 8 inches to ground level, why not put the tray on the floor underneath the hive and only use it when you want to inspect for mites, brood cappings ect..

What would be the ideal space for your inspection tray/board from the OMF ?
As i was thinking of having mine open to the ground aprox 8 inches to ground level, why not put the tray on the floor underneath the hive and only use it when you want to inspect for mites, brood cappings ect..

That's a silly question Curly, it all depends on your measurements with home made gear, +/ - mm count either way with home made gear, measure your home made floors and make the inspection tray to your requirements.

Edited to add 300mm gap should suffice,if in doubt try 3ft lol.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back