My beesuit: am I misunderstanding something?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
My suit has this wonderful warning label: fully detach hood before machine washing...

The hood has a double ended zipper that stops, overlapping, at the throat/chest where a flap is secured with Velcro.

I cannot see any possible way of detaching it.

Take the zipper to the ends and there is an “end of zipper’ stop, and it’s fully closed. Unzip it to the middle of the back and it’s held by the 1 cm of closed zip under the zipper heads. Moving the zipper to either end and the pair of zipper heads are stopped by the end of zipper.

Is this some arcane advanced beekeeping zipper origami test that you can teach me? A facepalm moment? Or is this just a stupid cheap suit that I’ll have to hand wash the entire thing?

My suit has this wonderful warning label: fully detach hood before machine washing...

The hood has a double ended zipper that stops, overlapping, at the throat/chest where a flap is secured with Velcro.

I cannot see any possible way of detaching it.

Take the zipper to the ends and there is an “end of zipper’ stop, and it’s fully closed. Unzip it to the middle of the back and it’s held by the 1 cm of closed zip under the zipper heads. Moving the zipper to either end and the pair of zipper heads are stopped by the end of zipper.

Is this some arcane advanced beekeeping zipper origami test that you can teach me? A facepalm moment? Or is this just a stupid cheap suit that I’ll have to hand wash the entire thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-8Y2JerqGM

shows you

The hood has a double ended zipper.

Is this some arcane advanced beekeeping zipper origami test that you can teach me?

Take another look at both ends of the zip.

One end is a stop,
the other has the longer lead-in.

Take both zip bits to witih 3" of the lead-in end, then move the closer one completely to the end so it reaches the full limit of travel.

now (with left hand) just move the other bit to it's limit & pull out the zip with your Right!

The u tube is priceless....even he gets it wrong the first time. Worth watching just fora giggle!
E

So, after all that fiddling earlier today I just touched it this time and it practically fell off! I didn’t get the chance to try the “tuck the hood” trick. I’ll see if I can ever get it back on.

Tuck hood inside suit and zip up then wash

I did that once with my OZ Armour and never again..it distorted the shape of the veil..i got it the right shape again by bending the frame work about but it will never go in the washer ever again with the suit..the veil now gets gently hand washed separately..the suit is far to valuable to me to get destroyed by not listening to the manufacturers advice.

I did that once with my OZ Armour and never again..it distorted the shape of the veil..i got it the right shape again by bending the frame work about but it will never go in the washer ever again with the suit..the veil now gets gently hand washed separately..the suit is far to valuable to me to get destroyed by not listening to the manufacturers advice.

How did you manage that? I wash all my suits this way, including Oz Armour.

I have no idea how the washing machine managed to do it but it will not get a second chance...hand wash the veil from now on and the machine gets the suit on a cool wash.

I agree millet. I hand wash the Ozarmour hood as it's more rigid than most hoods. My BeeBasics hood I stuff into the sleeve of the jacket and wash!

Stuck mine in several times , not removed hood, not tucked it in etc....just put on LOW spin speed. No problem apart for it never comes out looking "persil" white. LOL

I thought the "rule" about not machine washing the hood was that the black coating might come off and then it is more difficult to see through it.

I thought the "rule" about not machine washing the hood was that the black coating might come off and then it is more difficult to see through it.

With quality suits the 'black coating' doesn't come off.

I have a Sherriff jacket which is 30 years old. The vail is the best part of it.

I also have a cheap jacket/hood that the coating has come off the vail mesh. I've had to recoat it with permanent marker pen. As you say it's difficult to see through.

I leave the hood attached but place it in a plastic carrier bag tied by the bag handles loosely around the neck...works for me and never damaged in the wash.