My Beehaus - BLOG

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
taff..,

showing that the dividing board is not bee proof, would that make any difference if you had 2 colonies in there?

It would most certainly make a difference! There would be a high risk of losing one queen if a queen could get by. Artificial swarming might well lead to real swarming, thus 100% defeating the object of the artificial swarm!

It can be a problem of the Dartington design. My first had two layers of overlapping mesh and the floor has to be level to accommodate the divider (wherever it may be positioned). I was very careful to seat it firmly on the floor and make sure it sealed at the top without any protrusion - which would have lifted the supers or cover-boards.

I used a single layer of mesh in the second - much better, but still might be a pain if there is debris on the hive floor.

Losing a few bees is another of the down-sides of the design.

The plastic materials of the beehaus should make these things more easily controlled.

Bee-tightness of the roof is a non-starter as regards a problem. The roof simply covers the coverboards which will be the barrier to infiltrators. Basically, OMF, so no top ventilation, so no entry to the hive possible. Trapped bees need to exit from that area (after the roof is put in place) - I fitted escapes in my roofs.

Regards, RAB

Well Lets wait and see for next year.......watch this space/blog.
QUOTE]

I will with a keen interest.

I am going to follow Olver90's method for doing an AS / expaning the hive to 2 queens, rather than adding a existing colony to the over half.

seems to be the sensible thing to do.

I dont think I'd ever get past the price of the things though :toetap05:

Top Bar Hives have been used successfully to hold a colony in each end. So the empty end can be used for swarm control etc.

I dont think I'd ever get past the price of the things though :toetap05:

To many it is loose change, to others it is a lot more. either way people will all buy them for the same reason....the love of bees.

Oilver, the sealing of the hive will be fine, the dividing board can be made to fit and I will be 100% sure before a scond queen is added.

I spotted that issue with the following boards supplied. Perhaps something like pipe insulation would work, although I'll try to get a bigger sheet of the same stuff I think from Omlet to fix the problem.

Dartington used rolled up green pot scrubbers to make the division boards bee proof !

James,

the dividing board can be made to fit

Are you saying yours doesn't fit correctlyat present? I am surprised. That would be a manufacturing defect.

It was so much easier when I made my second as I was aware of the need for close tolerances in that area.

Regards, RAB

Dartington used rolled up green pot scrubbers to make the division boards bee proof !

They actually work! A small roll of that green scrubby stuff at each end of the board worked a treat in my LDH. The bees just couldn't chew through it. They might get through pipe insulation, it being less tough.

Steve J

Latest posts

Back