My Beehaus - BLOG

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just transferred one of my colonies over to the Beehaus...so let the experiment begin.

First point noted already is due to the smaller nucs, and therefore smaller crown boards there are twice the gaps for the bees to get squashed under, and ensuring all are down and secure with no bee escape holes.

Last edited:
Nice pictures Jim, a very pleasant colour it is too. I'm hanging on your every word and hope that fortune smiles on you during the trial.

A question; are the bungees that hold the lid secure likely to succumb to UV or are they just the new bricks, readily available at little expense and to be replaced as necessary?

A question; are the bungees that hold the lid secure likely to succumb to UV or are they just the new bricks, readily available at little expense and to be replaced as necessary?

Good question.

The roof section si quite good fit, but there is no lip over edge like on national hives, so even a medium wind might lift it with the cord.

But it is nothing special and could easly be replaced.

Another point is, it is extandable to fit as many suppers as you can practicaly manage.

Another point is, it is extandable to fit as many suppers as you can practicaly manage.

Even if one half of the hive is empty and the other needs three or four levels of super?

If the colony was that strong why would you restrict them to only one half of the hive?

I can see you point if you are running 2 hives (2 queens) in the one hives, but, like any other hive you have, if one is weaker than the other, boost it from the stronger one to even the two out.

There are many ways to solve things

Now I know it is a plastic Dartington (well, I knew really, as soon as we found it had 22 frames in the brood box), I'm not so sure whether a longish drive up the A1 and M62(?) is worth the time and distance to check it out.

I'm sure James will be able to describe it fairly. The super sides look to be quite flimsy on the omlette website (or was it where Johannes had 7 frames in a (5 frame) super on the Beeb news?)

Apart from (or despite) that, it seems fairly robust if it will withstand 75kg standing on top of it.

Is there anything like operating instructions to compare with a wooden Dartington?

Regards, RAB

Is there anything like operating instructions to compare with a wooden Dartington?
Regards, RAB

There are simple instructions with it, which is more than you would get with any other hive bought else where, but given I recived the "experts pack" the STD pack might have a booklet on beekeeping

Apart from (or despite) that, it seems fairly robust if it will withstand 75kg standing on top of it.

Regards, RAB

Please note I have JUST returned from holiday so carrying a little extra holiday weight!:toetap05::cheers2: Normaly about 70Kg.

But even still it is rock solid and I could jump up and down on it.

If the colony was that strong why would you restrict them to only one half of the hive?

Because you wanted to get honey in super frames and not have to faff around finding an extractor that would work with 14x12 frames.

Very true.

Then, there appears to be a new item needed to add to the Omlet sales list.:hat:

Some kind of extending stick thing that props up the un-supported end of the main lid.

OR A SPLIT LID IF YOU'RE READING OMLET (just the £5 per unit intellectual property fee you understand. Agreed?) :drool5:

Very true.

Then, there appears to be a new item needed to add to the Omlet sales list.:hat:

Some kind of extending stick thing that props up the un-supported end of the main lid.

Skin flints! you should be purchasing 'spacer' supers from Omlet, it's OK the price and spec is the same as the normal supers.

A group pic from one of my courses

DSCN1070.jpg

thanks for keeping us all up to date with the progress, Jim. ;)

Blog updated with some more internal pictures for those of you intrested in beekeeping/ the beehaus.

Will also give the others somthing to pull to peices!

the picture look good Jim.

It looks like a couple of the photo's are showing that the dividing board is not bee proof, would that make any difference if you had 2 colonies in there? Is the roof of yours bee tight?

Hi Taff

No that is not the case, I had the cover boards all off for some time to take the pictures, and they went of on walk about to explore.

The hive is bee tight in all cases, it was just "new" to start with in setting the boards in place.

Somthing others (e.g Rob) will soon pick up and solve bees sneeking in other places.

Jim

Two are just loose fitting division boards,the other one fits tight..wall to wall,and right down to the floor,athough there are a couple of small gaps at the top end bars which can easily be sealed.

Even with a couple of small gaps, do people think there would be an issue with a queen in each side?

Well Lets wait and see for next year.......watch this space/blog.

I am going to follow Olver90's method for doing an AS / expaning the hive to 2 queens, rather than adding a existing colony to the over half.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back