my beehaus arrives in 2 weeks ... any tips?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy a Dartington or a National instead?

Not seen the latest offerings from omlette, but the earlier ones needed some (as in several) modifications to make them a better beetainer.

Heres a tip. The beehaus is no different, for the bees, than any other beetainer, so restricting yourself to advice firom beehaus users only is a real 'downer', as there is far more experience of bees out there than just behaus owners.

Nothing special about bees in a beehaus. It is just another (very expensive) beetainer.

called Rob

Just goggle 'roblynmouth video' and they are there. But take it from me, these are mostly the worst of keeping bees in a beehaus, or any other hive for that matter. What not to do might be a better description.

All this negativity!

I have a Beehaus and I think it is great. It is well insulated so good during summer and winter.

Bees have thrived and even had honey last year, even though I started with a Nuc.

Only criticism is in transferring from shallow frames of Nuc to deep frames in Beehaus. The bees made free comb under the shallow frames which was a pain. Am transferring another Nuc (caught swarm last year) into the other half of the Beehaus soon and have made blocks of wood to slide under the shallow frames to avoid this problem (hopefully)

Enjoy your new Beehaus!

Having established a colony in both halves of a beehaus how do you AS?
Into another haus or will you try a 14x12 of some other description?

@Lesley245, what type of queen do you have in your Beehause?

Carniolan, AMM, Buckfast, Mongrel?

An interesting season ahead. It will be good to hear your ongoing opinion in three months time. :)

Honey isn't the only crop that can be fun from a beehive.

my beehaus arrives in 2 weeks ... any tips?

Yes cancel it and spend the money on a hive with less impact on the environment.

Interestingly, despite the OP's request for responses only from Beehaus users, there's only one. :svengo:

I'm actually surprised more non haus owners have resisted the game.
Perhaps susbees needs to supply more popcorn.

Interestingly, despite the OP's request for responses only from Beehaus users, there's only one.

And you are adding to it?

However, wrong again. The request was for tips from people who have a beehaus, not just from the current users. Some really do need to read and understand the OP.

I have used mine. I am not particularly impressed. The Dartington, which is the same format is superb in comparison. One reason why I am a non-user at present is because the Dartingtons are so much better.

Those that get two colonies into a single beehaus will be stuffed when it comes to A/Sing. The Dartington concept is of a single colony hive, not a double (excepting A/S time). Think about it - is this suddenly 'omlette hype' leading new beeks up the garden path? I think so. I have run Dartingtons for a few years now and would not consider double colonies in them (there may be exceptions but I have never needed to compromise yet).

RAB

Interestingly, despite the OP's request for responses only from Beehaus users, there's only one.

However, wrong again. The request was for tips from people who have a beehaus, not just from the current users. Some really do need to read and understand the OP.

I have used mine. I am not particularly impressed. The Dartington, which is the same format is superb in comparison. One reason why I am a non-user at present is because the Dartingtons are so much better.

Those that get two colonies into a single beehaus will be stuffed when it comes to A/Sing. The Dartington concept is of a single colony hive, not a double (excepting A/S time). Think about it - is this suddenly 'omlette hype' leading new beeks up the garden path? I think so. I have run Dartingtons for a few years now and would not consider double colonies in them (there may be exceptions but I have never needed to compromise yet).

RAB

Well I guess if the OP objects to my observation, they will tell me

Yes cancel it and spend the money on a hive with less impact on the environment.

:iagree:

RAB

lol, Come on RAB lighten up, give everyone a chance to put in their 2p worth.

Beehaus
I spent countless hours last year playing with a beehaus and it only confirmed what I had heard from others about it. Namely it has so many design flaws some much worse than others.

The following list may not be common across all Beehaus's but it was true of the one I was looking at which was one of the original designs. I only hope they have seriously modified them since.

1. The whole hive was warped and bowed in every direction making it difficult to close up after each inspection due to huge gaping holes which meant the colonies had to spend time sealing up the gaps with excessive amounts of propolis.
  2. As the hive was so out of shape every time a frame was removed bees were being rolled until 2 frames were removed and then the next frame could be angled so not to roll bees.
  3. There is a neoprene seal used between the side walls and the end walls which was exposed inside the hive.
  4. The frame runner supports are almost flat.
  5. The flexible queen excluder's didn't cover each half of the hive the bees simply walked around them.
  6. The central divider had bee sized spaces in several places as well as under the lugs. The owner ended up having to buy a newer version which was much better.
  7. The half super chambers warped when the roof was placed on because the hive body was so badly twisted. Again leaving huge gaps.
  8. The legs bowed under the weight of the two very strong colonies. The bracket used to attach the legs will likely fail (visible signs of being stressed) if the owner isn't careful.
  9. Left wondering how will the plastic hold up to UV light over time.

You could also argue they have been very well marketed to encourage more people to become bee keepers which I think is a good thing provided they get expert training and learn how to look after their bees.

But I do agree with RAB, the Dartington long hive (home made) is an excellent hive although not suited to being moved around or for those who may struggle to manage 14x12 frames.

Lighten up?

When one gets a resonse like this : Well I guess if the OP objects to my observation, they will tell me

Poster apparently is unaware that nothing at all was added to the thread, poster apparently does not even have a beehaus and doesn't even properly comprehend the thread.

I have one and sent a long list of faults to omlette. They even replaced my example because it was mis-shapen even before use.

Not even worth a ha'pence.

Last edited:
Beehaus advice videos

General info:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcCAqGHTbec[/ame]

Overwintering:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6jWZBMvHAU[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z19Cx4bExUU&feature=relmfu[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOm3_uzSpLU&feature=relmfu[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg8b58gvv8A&feature=relmfu[/ame]

Reflections from the great man:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jW1gcP4RaY&context=C43e37b3ADvjVQa1PpcFPsfT2ZDICMcVj5yM0B6CwXINAvAAYFwQM=[/ame]

Enjoy. :laughing-smiley-014 :laughing-smiley-014 :laughing-smiley-014

Ben P

Good grief. Why people have the wish to catalogue their every waking moment and share their ignorance with the world is beyond me.
Can't fault the enthusiasm, but throughout I was thinking: "Might help if he read a book or two...". Turns out he did, but clearly didn't pay much attention.
Still, I hope his he succeeds and makes some more (interesting) videos once he has had a bit more time with the bees.
But what a great garden.

Latest posts

Back