my beehaus arrives in 2 weeks ... any tips?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still, I hope his he succeeds and makes some more (interesting) videos once he has had a bit more time with the bees.

I suspect he doesn't keep them anymore - no videos/forum activity for a couple of years now.

Ben P

Yes, it will mean that I can't use the other side to head off swarming - that being said, they swarmed twice last year despite having done everything possible to prevent it and they had plenty of room:willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

I don' t know what type of Queen I have. I lost a Queen last year and had to graft a queen cell onto one hive. In fact, I haven't been able to spot either of my Queens since before the winter. I know they are there, as there is plenty of brood in all stages, but the royal ladies stay hidden.

I don't know if it's a foible of Bob or the iMac, but the cover of the great book seemed to be a mirror image.

I have used mine. I am not particularly impressed. The Dartington, which is the same format is superb in comparison. One reason why I am a non-user at present is because the Dartingtons are so much better.

RAB[/QUOTE]

beehauses are good for instant beekeeping - take out of box, put on legs, pop in some bees - you are a beekeeper! Probably not for long though - despite it being a 'long hive' - if you do not go on a course to learn basic disease recognition and then get a season's mentoring in practical operation of a hive.

Pity to hear so many accounts of badly made plastic beehauses. It's a property of the material to swell /twist a bit. Temperature of casting is all important so I understand. I'm sure Omlet will replace bad ones - but perhaps they ought to tighten quality control before sending. Anyway - tip for new buyer, check guarantee on replacement.

The plastic is guanteed for 10-years against UV degradation - or so I was told when it first came out. The buyer should ask about protective paint , to lengthen life. Trouble about slow steady degradation is the long period while the material deteriorates before it gets so bad you scrap it.

Wood is a good material for beehives - even plywood. If given a quick freshen up with water-based fence paints when needed - and set on blocks under the feet and best a piece of plastic as a damp proof layer - you can bequeath a hive in good condition to your grandchildren.

The materials to make a Dartington at home cost less than £150, a plastic beehaus over £450. So making is most economic if you do not value your time - and the least economic if you are on London wages and can work voluntary overtime. if you do make your own and end up with a poorly made hive you at least you know who to blame - and who to get to put it right! (I have sawn a number of Dartingtons apart that were made at a school - saw down the joints, switching to a hack saw when you hit the nails).

My beehaus look very grubby inside with propolis on the once-clean plastic. Somehow wood takes better to a bit of grubbiness.

A beehaus is a good toy if you want to try beekeeping and can afford it. As a hive for life I am less sure. so my tip to the new buyer would be - give it a good go but don't forget there are alternatives for your next three hives - and that a plastic hive is ok if kept on as a storage box.

Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
Back