Any tips

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philipm

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
Just got home after a week in hospital one of my problems is a compression fracture of the spine.Managed to feed the bees this afternoon ,not easy .Anybody have any tips that would make things easier?

Just got home after a week in hospital one of my problems is a compression fracture of the spine.Managed to feed the bees this afternoon ,not easy .Anybody have any tips that would make things easier?
Get someone to do it for you

Do not take any chances with your spine
Absolutely. I’ll second that.

Pay for it if you have to. Alternatively, build a "watering" system you can deploy once a year. There are options

You have my sympathy, backs are b*****ds. I spent my younger years ignoring mine and humping more weight than was sensible while popping ibuprofen like they they where smarties and suffered for it later and had some pretty significant surgery 9 years ago. Take it steady and don't rush it, you will only prolong your recovery. Is there anyone in your association (if you are in one) who could help? a beginner looking for some hands on experience maybe? Change how you feed? Little and often or fondant my be a bit more manageable.
Good luck with it

Is there anyone in your association (if you are in one) who could help? a beginner looking for some hands on experience maybe?
:iagree: that's what I did, when I was put on the beach after the last back injury, a beginner at my association was eager for some extra mentoring so he tagged along with me for inspections (he was a postie, so had many an afternoon free) and did all the manual work in exchange for tuition.

Ask your local BKA for help finding assistance.

(I spent a year helping someone with a broken arm via that route)

Thanks for the replies I seem to be managing at the moment lucky that I've finished inspections Just a bit of feeding left to do.My wife has said she would help if needed.My hives are in the field not far from the house so as long as I,m carefull not to trip over its not too bad .My wife will do all the lifting for me. The hospital fitted me with a back brace which is better than being in plaster from arse to neck. The only thing I wont be able to check is how heavy the hives are but judging by the amount of bees flying yesterday and the pollen loads I dont think there will be a problem they are on double brood so should be plenty of space.

Back