My ‘perfect storm’

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Just to let you know about my worst experience whilst beekeeping.
About a month ago I went down to the allotments and noticed that one of my hives had been knocked over (almost certainly by a badger). I didn’t have my beekeeping gear with me so quickly went home to get it.
I suited up and went to sort out the hive (14x12 + national and 3 supers).
The hive was strapped up so more or less all still together but it was raining and thundering and lightening and the bees weren’t happy.
I put the stand back in place and noticed some bees in my suite and got stung on my forehead, face and neck. I re zipped my suite and went back to the hive put the first brood box on the stand and noticed some more bees in my suite and got some more stings in my head. Walked away again and found that the veil had split and that’s where they were getting in. Went home again to get my wife’s suite and by this time it was really throwing it down.
Suited up again to put the rest of the hive back together and by this time the bees were really annoyed and got stung through the suite on my arms and legs and the suite got ‘peppered’ with stings. I ended up with 40+ stings in total - to my head area, to my arms and legs through my suite and gloves.
They were annoyed for the best part of a week and were pinging when I went near. Fortunately the queen was ok and the hive returned to normal but I couldn’t imagine a worse experience and how everything came together to make things as bad as they were

Wow .... experience that money can't buy ! Badger proof hive stakes must be on the cards ... a repeat of this could be a real pain in the a....se !

There's many a beekeeper who might have given up! Well done!

The stings didn’t hurt when the bees were stinging me – must have been the adrenalin but I could feel them stinging.
Apart from a ‘puffed up’ eye and thumb and red marks on my legs and arms where I got stung there were no other after effects.
The badger was a one off never been around before and blocked the entrance/exit so unlikely to happen again – after what happened I made sure the allotment was as badger proof as possible.

glad im not the only one who experienced that recently, though my only mistake was no wellies my ankles had about 8 stings each, walked funny for a week. better hive stand need here !

Hi Les,
Never mind the queen, I am glad you survived to tell the tale! Well, done. I would have had to call for back-up on that one as psychologically I probably would not have been able to go back in! I will be checking my veil for rips before I start from now on!

Glad you're ok. A couple of weeks ago I got stung on my face by a single bee and ended up in the hospital with an awful rush all over my body. With 40 stings I would probably be dead! I'm really glad you're ok!

Latest posts

Back