multiple eggs in cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This is my first year keeping bees I got a nuc late last year and after returning from Stoneleigh this afternoon I carried out my weekly check on my hive and at first I thought I had queen cells present but after checking some pictures online and in books they were drones cells (I think), the end of the cell was just sticking out further than the others and they were not pointing downwards. There was only four of these bigger cells and when I returned to double check I noticed at the bottom of some of the cells on this particular frame there was four or five eggs in some of the cells. I was just wondering if anybody had experienced this before, knew why this was happening and if its likely to cause any problems.

More than one egg per cell = laying worker.
are some on the side of the cell?

Smudger put your location up a local beek may able to help.

or get your mentor to look at them.

if it's a laying worker it needs sorting asap and new Queen intsalled.

Usual reasons for multiple eggs in a cell:

Young inexperienced queen
Laying workers
No space for queen to lay
SHB

You have no location nor hive type listed. Are we to presume these bees are still in nuc? Three of the four possible reasons would cause problems.

Welcome to the forum, but please include all the relevant information so we can likely help you. You may note that one of my reasons given does not apply to the UK, at this present time.

RAB

All the eggs I could see were in the bottom of the cell, they started to get quite upset at being opened up a second time this afternoon so I did not spend too long looking

I have had this on a number of occasions and found that in my case it was an over enthusiastic queen. They sorted themselves out in a few weeks.

Thanks RAB Ive just updated my profile, is SHB (small hive beetle), there is brood on about 3-4 frames quite a lot of food and pollen and there is about 3 frames that are still just foundation, ive got one super on which has 4-5 frames of just foundation.

As no one has mentioned it so far, you are correct these are definitely drone cells and not queen cells. Queen cells are very different and tend to hang down as a separate unit. Once you have seen one you will recognise it again immediately. Not wishing to sound condescending but as you are not sure what a queen cell looks like are you sure that what you think are eggs are actually eggs? They should be tiny white thread like bits at the base of the cell, about 2mm long. Easier to see with the sun behind you! It is easy for a beginner to think eggs are something completely different!
Best of luck
E

As far as I could tell, this hive was queenless with queen cells. The eggs here are from the new queen that just starting to lay with plenty of room.

check%20002.jpg

Last edited:
ive got one super on which has 4-5 frames of just foundation.

It would seem that your colony is far too weak to have a full empty super above it at this present time.

Which end of Northants? I am only just over the border.

Regards, RAB

I wasnt sure if queen cells were always the same shape etc, but the cells i saw were bigger than drone cells but not big enough to be queen cells thats what caused the confusion. Im certain about the extra eggs in the cell though they were clearly visible with the sun to my back.

Im near wellingborough, I think my colony is fairly strong, I really noticed a big increase in the amount of bees in the hive today compared with last week. I didnt remove any of the frames from the super but it felt quite heavy when i lifted it off.

If you're not sure, one way to find out what the different cells look like is by using an image search in your favorite search engine. keywords queen cups, queen cells, drone cells,

Hi Smudger
Sounds like you should've gone to the "Happy bees are healthy bees" talk at Stoneleigh yesterday.
Multiple eggs were neatly discussed and the salient point being that laying workers eggs are usually on the sidewalls as there abdomen is too short to reach the bottom.
Cazza

Hi Cazza, thanks I did try to go to a couple of the talks but they were full by the time I found the right buildings, the eggs were all definately at the bottom of the cell, Il check again next saturday and see whats happening then.

Yes, I had the same problem finding the rooms!

Just spotted my terrible spelling error. I am mortified.
Cazza

Just spotted my terrible spelling error. I am mortified.

Their, their, don't worry about it!

Regards, RAB

Hi Cazza - I was at Pam's talk as well. Had to go up afterwards and say hello - she lived a mile away from me when I was a teenager in mid Wales - known to us all as 'The Bee Woman' (or whatever the equivalent in Welsh was - can't remember now!) huge amount of knowledge and able to share it without any condescension. Shame she was introduced by an *****!

Latest posts

Back