Multi Nuc Combination

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markb2603

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have 4 nucs, 3 are queenless and now broodless - it’s been about 5 weeks since capped queen cells were spotted and I let them get on with it. It’s been a bad year for queen mating. The nuc with the queen is about 2 frames and was collected as part of a chimney extraction 2 weeks ago.

Should I combine the 3 queenless nucs together in a full brood box and then newspaper combine the queen right nuc on top? Planning to do all at the same time as it’s getting late now.

Personally I would not merge 3 nucs together. Are you able to put 2 nucs side by side above the q+ brood box to newspaper combine them first?

Should I combine the 3 queenless nucs together in a full brood box and then newspaper combine the queen right nuc on top? Planning to do all at the same time as it’s getting late now.
I would just throw the three queenless ones together - no need to 'unite' them as per the books, but then, you are not even certain they are Q- unless you deploy a test frame, but still, at this time of the year, I would just put the three Q- nucs together and then try a test frame a few days later. Until then I wouldn't contemplate uniting them to your weak queenright nuc.
Do you have any other colonies apart from this lot? if the four on your profile are colonies other than the nucs, I would just shake out the queeness ones in front of those then try and nurse the queenright nuc.

I have 10 full colonies and after this one is sorted, 12 nucs. All the others are in good shape going into winter and I’d like to put everything to bed for the season now so I must deal with these. I’ve done a couple of very thorough check overs for queens in the queenless nucs and no sign at all. We had very good weather on the weekend so I’ll leave it till the weekend to see if there was success but then I really do need to do something. All the broodless nucs have been treated for varroa at this stage too. I’ll do as you say and combine the 3 and then put in a test frame in a few days to see what happens.

I have 10 full colonies and after this one is sorted, 12 nucs. All the others are in good shape going into winter and I’d like to put everything to bed for the season now so I must deal with these. I’ve done a couple of very thorough check overs for queens in the queenless nucs and no sign at all. We had very good weather on the weekend so I’ll leave it till the weekend to see if there was success but then I really do need to do something. All the broodless nucs have been treated for varroa at this stage too. I’ll do as you say and combine the 3 and then put in a test frame in a few days to see what happens.
I would throw the 3 Q- in a box with a Q+ one. They get on with it.

Back