Multi hive stand recommedations?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domino

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

I want to get my hives on fewer stands just to make live a little easier and organised. My goal is to get the permanent hives on stands that hold 2 - 3 hives and then use the single stands for temporary swarm control hives.

Anyone have any recommendations of places to buy them from or plans for building them. They need to be fairly robust.

Ladder stands, four lengths of three or four by two, and some cross pieces bolted on, length depends on how many hives you want to put on the stand, two, six, eight, whatever, easy to transport, easy to level on site, very stable, hives can be strapped to the stand, stack tidy when not in use, can be made to a height of six inches up to twelve inches, and whatever in between.

Ladder stands, four lengths of three or four by two, and some cross pieces bolted on, length depends on how many hives you want to put on the stand, two, six, eight, whatever, easy to transport, easy to level on site, very stable, hives can be strapped to the stand, stack tidy when not in use, can be made to a height of six inches up to twelve inches, and whatever in between.

Picky?

seems very low

I bought an excellent stand from Fozz Bees on Fleabay. Sadly he's in poor health and not shipping at the moment - but I'll be buying more stands once he's recovered.

Although I haven't yet made one I did like the look of this design

http://tinyurl.com/k5dz536

At the moment due to my apiary layout it's still easier to have single stands but maybe in the future!

I make a similar stand. Cut a 10' pressure treated 2x4 (or as HM suggests wider timber can be used) into 2-4' and 2-1' pieces. Nail the 2-1' pieces between the 2-4' pieces, 1' from ends with galvanized nails. Holds 2 hives.

If one makes the space between the 'rails' about 15 inches, then you can also use the stand as 'rails' for temporarily holding (National or 14x12) frames …

B&Q sell some cheapish 3x2 ish decking beams (pressure treated) that seem pretty good for this. http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-softwood-ground-level-joist-w43mm-l2400mm-d70mm/66167_BQ.prd

//// ADDED
If your rails are long enough, when you inspect you can put the removed hive boxes between the two hives on the stand - which saves lifting them up again from ground level (so easier on the back). The length you need depends on the dimensions of your roofs - and allow a little more additional workspace than you first think of!
Having just two hives per stand works well with having the weight of the hives directly above the supports.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back