Multi hive stand recommedations?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots prefer doing the inspections kneeling, or semi kneeling.

Have to if the hive is low and your back's f goosed. Out in lesotho the favoured hive stand was a car tyre or two so I did most of the inspections on my knees - the last photo however is a hive made of tyres - bees moved into a stack so they tidied it up and put a 'roof' on to house the colony

Out in lesotho the favoured hive stand was a car tyre or two so I did most of the inspections on my knees

Yes i have used them as well, i like the tyre beehive though.

Talking of Africa, one of my sons is on his way home from Kenya tonight, been there since 3rd September, think you mentioned your wife was out there, is she home yet, Emyr?

I think HM was subtly making the point that a 6" hive stand allows an additional super to be added without having to use a ladder to take the roof off.

6" stand
2" floor
10" brood
6" super
6" super
6"super
= 3ft!

So the beekeeping is populated by 4' high dwarves with bad backs who only harvest the honey once a year then? :)

I'm now using plastic pallets - the one's I've sourced will each support 2 long hives, or 2 Nationals and a couple of nucs.
If you should need extra height, or intend placing hives onto soft ground, then placing a couple of plastic pallets feet-to-feet then presents a much larger surface area to soft ground, and prevents digging-in.

LJ

The roof,! Don't forget the roof ! Your dwarf would be lifting that above his head if if is of decent depth, particularly these silly OTT teacosy things.

I like YB's link for a multiple stand. I can immediately think of three or four improvements to the design. End grain is a rot-starting point, some parts would be better (or adequately) butt jointed, loads could be transmitted through the sructure more evenly, and the bottom leg braces do not need to be so robust. Generally the plan was a good starting point, but needs a bit of modification/improvement.

All my stands are singles, and I have never used multiples. No problem at all, as stand can be moved with the hive, usually just stacked in the car along with the sundry bits and pieces.

Nice video John. I've never collected a swarm quite like that. I may be old fashioned but I love tipping the swarm out onto a board sloping up to the full size hive in the evening and see them walk in. Nice clean bee suit!

Although I haven't yet made one I did like the look of this design
http://tinyurl.com/k5dz536
At the moment due to my apiary layout it's still easier to have single stands but maybe in the future!

I have made six of these stands and find them excellent. To guild the lilly I cut the ends of the horizontals into an S-shape. For the cross supports between the legs I rebate them into the legs an inch or so. The pic shows a 2-hive version.

Last edited:
Dont you wash your bee suit? ;-)
Next time it will be the sheet & the hive, this first one was a confidence booster & i had to go to work within the hour.

Talking of Africa, one of my sons is on his way home from Kenya tonight, been there since 3rd September, think you mentioned your wife was out there, is she home yet, Emyr?

She came home ten days ago - she was in Uganda -in the Mbale region, an experience but not that good I think - she really did want to go to Lesotho and work at the orphanage.

She came home ten days ago - she was in Uganda -in the Mbale region, an experience but not that good I think - she really did want to go to Lesotho and work at the orphanage.

Pleased to hear she is home safe and sound, it is a pretty grim area my son has been staying in, frequent murders, around 50 shot in the last week, muggings, starving and thirsty people, begging...rotting dead stuff all over the place...and the list goes on.

Dont you wash your bee suit? ;-)
Next time it will be the sheet & the hive, this first one was a confidence booster & i had to go to work within the hour.

Not very often I'm afraid and never gets ironed as yours seems to be. My SHMBO does't even iron my socks!

Washed mine this week, first time in three years.

Latest posts

Back