Moving to Double Brood Box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otleybee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a big colony that is rapidly running out of space. Currently they are on brood and a half with two supers and I suspect that I will need to move to double brood soon.

My question is really about the end of the summer when preparing them for winter. Do you overwinter on double brood or put them all back into one brood box?

As ever your advice is much appreciated.

I'm sure others with more experience will be able to answer this better than I can, but...in my experince it depends on the size of the colony. I know many people who overwinter on double brood with no problems but I have occaisionally had problems when small-ish colonies have struggled on double brood over winter.

Smallish colonies might struggle with a deep brood. A strong enough colony would tend towards the top box if they needed to keep warm, but over the years I have often found a colony quite at home nearer the bottom.

It is a case, I think, of how well they can seal up their little area to keep heat losses down. Think wild comb and one realises that the air-flow around the cluster in that case is moderated by the tunnels and stops above. With our regimented frames it likely makes over-wintering harder than in a natural nest.

Finman and his no 'vain' space is a good principle for managed hives and very good for those weaker colonies.

Regards, RAB

Have noticed that some colonies will move up to upper brood box, but realistically how would you remove the lower box without chilling the brood?

Thinking WBC here

I overwintered two colonies on double brood last year, One came through fine, rising to the top box, The other came through very weak - all my fault as I found I had left the varroa board in most of the winter so the OMF was negated. DOH! Hive came through very damp and mouldy.
In both cases I reduced back to single brood on first spring inspection.
Ventilation is key.

I did that with one of mine last year. I noticed mould on the varroa board at Christmas time and took it out pronto. No problems thereafter.

I did that with one of mine last year. I noticed mould on the varroa board at Christmas time and took it out pronto. No problems thereafter.

Yeah, obviously more observant than me.....was very cross with myself. Almost lost them.

I think Finman's 'no vain space' rule is correct. The Italians were on double jumbo Langstroth last year, and they needed it, but in the autumn i put them onto single brood, initially with a super and QX - both of which I removed after a few weeks, and still they were hanging out the front in the day, but at night they all squashed in and that colony did better than any of the others and was massive in the Spring.

Another "tip" from stoneleigh is if you overwinter a strong colony on single brood, pop an empty super underneath. They do not like to cluster on the stores and this arrangement allows them to "hang low"

Depends on your bee variety too i'd say. If they are quick off the mark in spring, you"ll have to be really quick putting that second box back!

Regards

FB

Latest posts

Back