Moving Queen Cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Twidle

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
As novices, a small group of us have started raising queens using the Nicot system. So far we have a few developing queen cells and I was wondering how others go about moving the mature cells to go into mating nuclei. Do you make up nuclei elsewhere and bring them, ready to insert the cells or do you use some sort of transportation device to keep them from becoming chilled and transport the cells to other sites? Any suggestions would be welcome.

If Im travelling to other sites with q cells,I put them in a sandwich bag with a string on handles and put around my neck and down my top to keep them warm.They're in roller cages so they don't get squashed.Never had any issues with queens not hatching.

@protheroe Hi Mark....are you chancing the heather this year?
Yes i will.just hope its not like the last couple of seasons.didnt have a single frame of heather last year.This year has to be good(maybe being a bit optimistic there)but surely it cant be three bad heather crops in a row.

Yes i will.just hope its not like the last couple of seasons.didnt have a single frame of heather last year.This year has to be good(maybe being a bit optimistic there)but surely it cant be three bad heather crops in a row.
They cut most of the Drysgol right back to the ground last year so I don't know what to expect from it this year - but that was last April sobales 1.jpgbales 2.jpgbales 3.jpg maybe?

The heather looked good to start but just didnt seem to quite get there in colour.we had a few decent days in weather but no nectar.

Are those bales of heather? What are they used for?
They were all helicoptered off the mountain and used as bank revetments for streams running into the river Towy. It was like apocalypse now here on that day but it was the only sensible way to get them off the mountain and into the next valley

As novices, a small group of us have started raising queens using the Nicot system. So far we have a few developing queen cells and I was wondering how others go about moving the mature cells to go into mating nuclei. Do you make up nuclei elsewhere and bring them, ready to insert the cells or do you use some sort of transportation device to keep them from becoming chilled and transport the cells to other sites? Any suggestions would be welcome.
Being follicly challenged, I have to wear a cap to prevent skin damage but it's ideal for keeping queen cells warm between colonies.

Back