Moving new hive/nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

felixflyer

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi

So I have an out apiary on someone elses land and I just received my first nuc 2 days ago. I placed it in the area agreed and was going to take my hive there at the weekend to transfer them mid day.

The land owner has been down and seen the bees and decided he'd like to move them further away into the next field. We are probably talking 8-10 metres in distance but it is the other side of a tall hedge and will also be facing the other direction.

They are still in the nuc at the moment. What would be the best plan to go about moving them? Should I do it the same time as putting them in the hive? Do I need to close them in for a while?

Any advice is much appreciated.

I would be inclined to look for another site. You agree an area with the landowner and no sooner have you placed bees there, he has a change of mind. I can't help wondering if there could be more surprises down the line. I hope it's not the case.
As it is, he has already left you with a dilema. Best bet would be to move them away for three weeks and then bring them back to the new site. Far easier to move nucs but they will be in a hive by then.

More importantly, is this new site favourable to you? If not then simply find another out apiary that suits your needs.

Latest posts

Back