Moving my Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lapdogsx5

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Really need to move my bees but the spot i have in mind is only 2 1/2 miles away would that be ok ?

I'd be surprised if it were a problem.
The bees won't have been far from the hive as yet, this year.

That should be plenty. Never had a problems moving them metres away so 2 and half won't be a problem.

no doubt the sharks will be along to tell me off in a minute....

I agree move them. no time like the present. better than when full of bees and honey.

I moved bees last week, distances around a mile and few yards. They hadn't been flying for more than a week, but the temperature was hitting 8C or so on the day so if they were clustered and it was broken they could reform before it got frosty overnight.

I used branches across the entrances as a precaution and when it was marginally warmer a couple of days later saw a few on orientation flights. Since then with a nudge up in the temperature on a couple of days they've been flying and even foraging for pollen.

I used branches across the entrances as a precaution and when it was marginally warmer a couple of days later saw a few on orientation flights. Since then with a nudge up in the temperature on a couple of days they've been flying and even foraging for pollen.

This is good advicel if you move them and are concerned about returners. Cover the entrance with leafy branches/long grass/prunings so the bees have to crawl through and realise things have changed so they then reorientate themselves.
Cazza

just leave a nuc or empty brood at original site just in case!

Yes move them - over 10

....what's this talk about piling branches in front of the entrance?
In my day we used to recommend stuffing the entrance with dried grass

I need to move a hive 40cm forward. Do i do this gradually, such as 1 inch a day?

Up to 3ft in one move (the rule of 3)

....what's this talk about piling branches in front of the entrance? In my day we used to recommend stuffing the entrance with dried grass
Grass stuffing delays use of an entrance until it wilts or the bees work a way through. Cramp and others suggest it if you're not back for a few days. A leafy branch covers an open entrance but different enough that they don't fly straight out without any clue to say they've moved. If there are short periods when they can fly (as recently) they can still get out without delay. Is a branch worthwhile if they haven't been flying much for a week anyway? No evidence. It may make no difference, but it doesn't add another delay to the weather one.

Latest posts

Back